Author Topic: Gallagher  (Read 324 times)

Offline clairef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gallagher
« on: Wednesday 01 March 17 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I am trying to trace some distant relations who may still be alive and living in the USA.

(*) Gallagher (may have been born in new York), his wife
(*) and as of 1960 they had a daughter called
(*) (who was possibly born in the 1950s)

This (*)Gallagher would have been a 2nd cousin of my grandfather Michael Gallagher from Ireland and he wrote him a letter in 1960.  unfortunately there was no address attached to the letter, so I am at a bit of a loss as to how to progress further.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

Claire

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Arhur Gallagher
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to RootsChat

Sadly that is not enough information to go on - Gallagher is quite a common name.  RootsChat has a no living person policy - we cannot name living people - you will need to remove the name of the daughter, hopefully she is still living.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gallagher
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Since you don't have much information and a common name is involved, I think your best option may be to try to find relevant information about the person who emigrated to the US.  If you can, get the person's date of birth in Ireland, parents'/siblings' names, entries on Irish census, marriage, etc. 

If you can find that person on a passenger list to the US, it may show where they were going to and who they were going to join.  There are various websites that have passenger lists, including free ones at www.familysearch.org and http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/passenger

After that, you may be able to find the family on the US census.  1940 is the most recent one available.  You can find them on www.familysearch.org.  New York does not have recent birth records available, but it may be possible to work around that.  You may be able to find living people through death records of relatives, obituaries, city directories, etc. 

Offline clairef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gallagher
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Ah I understand regarding the no living person policy.  Ill go through the 1940's census to see if I can get any information there. thanks all for the advice :-)