Author Topic: Thomas Button 35th Regiment of Foot 1806-1832  (Read 1956 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Button 35th Regiment of Foot 1806-1832
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 March 17 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Per the Dorchester Prison registers Jane and Elizabeth Button belonged to the parish of Pointington in Somerset.

(Quite a few Buttons are listed in those registers including Thomas, Jemima, Letitia - children of Thomas and Jane ?)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 March 17 13:23 GMT (UK) »
I have found an extract from a book written by Sir andrew halliday in 1839 on the Sickness and Mortality in the West indies- letter to the Secretary of War- which indicates that the 35th regiment had been in the tropics for 3 years before 1824. From 1824-1826 they were in Barbados then sent to St lucia and Dominica from 1826-1830. in 1830 they were moved back to Barbados. So at least now I know a bit more of the Regimental movements. Pressing on!

He must have read the history I alerted you to a few posts ago!

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 March 17 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes- that is the one- this is Jane from the second marriage, born in 1832 before Thomas and 2nd wife Jane returned to england.
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 March 17 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Shaun- this is interesting re the Prison records as those names do tie in with the 1841 and 1851 census- what exactly do they say and when are they dated? This really is quite a pickle to untangle! It is not helped by the surname spelling which varies from Button to Budden- i have to rely on unusual factors on other documents which relate to either the West Indies or the fact that Thomas Button/Budden was a soldier. This story is taking some twists and turns before I can work it out and eliminate any red herrings!
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 March 17 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Poyntington lies 2 miles north of Sherborne- the picture is growing :)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 March 17 14:39 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 census includes these children with parents Thomas and Jane:
Jemima Budden- I have her baptised 25/12/1833 Pimperne- Father- Thomas Budden -Soldier
Thomas Budden-- I have him bap 14th Feb 1836 Pimperne-Father-Thomas Budden- now a tailor which follows on through the later censuses
Letitia Budden- I have her born 1839 Pimperne

So the Dorchester prison records appear to be ours -but what is going on?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 02 March 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »
You can find the Dorchester Prison Registers on Ancestry. I haven't looked at all the Button entries but it's probably a succession of minor offences.

Some of them are reported in the Sherborne Mercury:

"Jemima Button, for stealing turnips, at Blandford, hard labour 1 calendar month" (23 December 1851 )
"Letitia Button, and Harriet Miles, vagrancy at Blandford" (1 December 1857)

There are quite a few newspaper reports re Thomas Button (mostly the son)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 March 17 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shaun- i have had a quick look at both the Sherborne Mercury and the Dorset chronicle and could see various mentions of Thomas Budden and his gaol committals- this family had a tough time I think. I will be in touch with the Dorset FHS in due course and get some more detailed records. thank you once again for all your help.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 02 March 17 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi queenswood 1,

I have now found a possible marriage on FreeReg on 12th May 1818 of Thomas Budden (we have a spelling discrepancy as he is Button in his army docs but Budden on the 1841 Census which shows wife and daughter- daughter shown as born in Barbados in later censuses)- to Elizabeth Saunders at Gussage All saints- about 7 miles from Pimperne. Is there any way I can find out more about this wedding to check it is the right man?

From OPCDorset:

Gussage, All Saints

12th May by Banns

Thomas Budden of Horton Cum Woodlands
Elizabeth Saunders of Gussage All Saints

Witnesses: Sarah Sanders, George Dowding

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)