Author Topic: Alice May Tiplady - Looking for Birth Record ~ Philadelphia  (Read 4542 times)

Offline e_m

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice May Tiplady - Looking for Birth Record ~ Philadelphia
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 02 March 17 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Yes, well, as I said, 1905 is actually fairly recent and there are ways to get birth information here in Philadelphia and the vicinity. I would be happy to help but I am still unclear as to the facts. If you would like me to investigate, I will need some clarification.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 02 March 17 20:18 GMT (UK) »
All the facts that Carol is aware of are in this thread.

This is one of those that might never reveal the "secret" Carol.  Would have liked to have found someone/something that lead us to the USA but even GRO isn't revealing any clues in the UK either  ???  Think I've gone through all the Tiplady sisters and brothers - amazing how many sisters remained unmarried.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 02 March 17 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Found a Mary J Tiplady born 1870 on a UK return passenger list - departing Philadelphia 17 October 1906 on the Merion

Then looked for the out going and found Mary J Tiplady born 1870 Bradford and aged 36 years - single - weaver - Liverpool to Philadelphia - on the Haverford - arriving 28 May 1906

So frustrating - same area - dates would work - but name and age slightly out !!!!!!!!!!! However, going to a sister Priscilla Nailor in Philadelphia.  ::)

Can't find her in 1911  ???

Sandra

Added - Just to make sure - so that we can discount -  this looked like Mary J Tiplady with the sister Pricilla transcribed as Haylor on the 1901 UK Horton Bradford.  ::)

Charlie L Haylor   24  and Prescott Haylor   26
Mary J Tiplady   31 Sister-in-law
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 02 March 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm perhaps another Lewis/Louis Brearley to put in the frame - 1901 Mirfield Dewsbury Yorkshire - area might fit  ??? Lewis was changed to Louis back in 2014 on the ancestry entry.
Still in Mirfield in 1911.

Joseph Brearley   45 Fanny Brearley   45
Fred Brearley   23
Lewis Brearley   20 Born Mirfield, Yorkshire. Hewer in Coal Mine.
Eleanor Brearley   19 Hilda Brearley   14
Percy Brearley   11 Emily Brearley   9
Edith Brearley   8 Herbert Brearley   3
Thomas Hudson   15 Thomas Goodbear 15
David Goodbear   13

Sandra

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 02 March 17 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes, well, as I said, 1905 is actually fairly recent and there are ways to get birth information here in Philadelphia and the vicinity. I would be happy to help but I am still unclear as to the facts. If you would like me to investigate, I will need some clarification.

Whilst I appreciate your offer...I have given every detail available to me and therefor am unsure as to what you feel needs clarifying....I can't give you any more than what has already been given.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline e_m

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 02 March 17 21:18 GMT (UK) »
I do not understand what you have written. That is what I am asking for regarding clarification. I was hoping you could explain once more the information you are looking for, and what you have to go on. I simply do not understand all that has been said and discovered over these 5 pages.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 02 March 17 21:24 GMT (UK) »

Referring to reply 38 Carol - I have found Mary J Tiplady again married Dec 1906 Bradford - 9b 256 to a William Calvert - found her later on a UK return passenger list in 1921 - Philadelphia - Liverpool on the Haverford - - going to 12 Ackworth Street Bradford.  So definitely discounted.

Sandra

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 02 March 17 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm perhaps another Lewis/Louis Brearley to put in the frame - 1901 Mirfield Dewsbury Yorkshire - area might fit  ??? Lewis was changed to Louis back in 2014 on the ancestry entry.
Still in Mirfield in 1911.

Joseph Brearley   45 Fanny Brearley   45
Fred Brearley   23
Lewis Brearley   20 Born Mirfield, Yorkshire. Hewer in Coal Mine.
Eleanor Brearley   19 Hilda Brearley   14
Percy Brearley   11 Emily Brearley   9
Edith Brearley   8 Herbert Brearley   3
Thomas Hudson   15 Thomas Goodbear 15
David Goodbear   13

Sandra

I must admit that I did look at this one too but wasn't sure, but he could also be a contender so he is also worth further scrutiny....thanks for that.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 02 March 17 21:39 GMT (UK) »

Referring to reply 38 Carol - I have found Mary J Tiplady again married Dec 1906 Bradford - 9b 256 to a William Calvert - found her later on a UK return passenger list in 1921 - Philadelphia - Liverpool on the Haverford - - going to 12 Ackworth Street Bradford.  So definitely discounted.

Sandra
d

That's some coincidence though isn't it Sandra. I am struck by the fact that John Tiplady names 5 year old Alice May as his niece in 1911, is also living with his sister and gives his status as married but no wife is in residence just his Sister ???
His Sister Ada who is living with him dies 3 years later. Then John is a witness at Alice May's wedding in 1924. Alice and her Husband go to live with John and stay for many years until at least 1939!
That's got to be significant. I'm sold on the idea that Alice was the illegitimate Daughter of Ada.
Where Philadelphia fits in I'm not sure but the Brearley's American link is hard to ignore. Both John Tiplady and the Brearley Family have links to the textile industry given John's occupation in 1911.
Carol