Author Topic: Bigamist in my tree?  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bigamist in my tree?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 March 17 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Using the same resource brings up the birth of another child, Peter Parker Stevens in 1857 with parents George & Lydia (Parker). 

You mentioned 10 children on the death certificate, were any of them named Joseph or Peter?

There is also the death of Lydia STEPHENS in 1867, aged 49.  Her place of birth was also SOME, which may well be Somerset.  The Lydia with George in Newport, Wales 1851 was also born in Somerset.

I think you may well be right in your suspicions after all.  The Isle of Wight reference threw me a bit, but it's possible they moved there between Wales & Australia.

Added: Peter Stevens died in 1861, aged 4
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 March 17 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Exciting stuff & good work girls!!!

I wonder what was written on DC for Mary (nee King)?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 March 17 09:15 GMT (UK) »
From George's death certificate the informant was his son William Stevens (I think the resisdence says Kiora) - he emigrated in 1857 and died in Wattle Grove in 1901)

Don't have Lydia's death certicate

Have tried to attach the part about his children

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 March 17 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Children from my readings are
Sarah
Samuel
Matilda
George
Mary
William
Thomas
James
John
Esther

From the 1841 census

Samuel (1821-1870)
George (1826-1911)
Mary (1827-1881)
William (1830-1901)
James (1832- ?)
Thomas (1832- ?)
John (1836-?)
Hester (1837-1875)

The death certificate says he was in Australia for 22 years (so approx 1853, which would be a year out)

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 March 17 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Have looked on a family tree on ancestry which has Lydia Parker married to George Stevens and three children by him Joseph, Peter Parker (isn't that Spiderman?) and Mary Ann - the two younger children died in 1861 and Joseph in 1865 and Lydia in 1867

If this is true then I suppose it's not impossible that William, from his first marriage, completely ignored the second family on the death certificate as they had all died

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 March 17 09:37 GMT (UK) »
You don't mention exactly when in 1875 George died.  There are probate records for two people called George Stevens who died in Victoria in 1875, who may or may not be your man:

George Stevens a Farmer of Kiora who died 21 Jan 1875
Left his farm and land to his son William Stevens.  No other family members mentioned.

He's this one - I know William also emigrated to Australia

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 March 17 11:30 GMT (UK) »

From the image of the 1854 passenger list,

George STEVENS, Ag Lab aged 55,  Lydia STEVENS aged 36,  Joseph STEVENS aged 5, were all of the Isle of Wright.

JM

Just a thought but who would have filled in that list with Isle of Wight listed?   Could it be that George et al said Newport (meaning Newport, Wales) and someone assumed they meant Newport, Isle of Wight?

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 March 17 11:31 GMT (UK) »
If you don't already have his will then you can download it here.  The probate files are separate to the actual will, which is the third item down.   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jma/

Trove also has reference to a James Stevens of Kiora who went bankrupt in 1868, although I haven't looked into him any further to see if he was related.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 March 17 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Looking at his signature on the Will, it looks very similar to the one posted by Claire