Author Topic: Seghill as 'Segul/Segil'? Does that make sense.  (Read 3833 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seghill as 'Segul/Segil'? Does that make sense.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 06 March 17 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Isabella the older, who when married was known as Isabella Hall but who may or may not have been born Isabella Andrews.

her mother, Isabella Hall. (Who may be Isabella Andrews or not)

In reply #7 you said that Isabella Andrews had married Alexander Hall and she was definitely the mother of 'your' Isabella. Now you say that Isabella 'may or may not' be originally Isabella Andrews.

Before we spend any more time on this can you tell us what solid evidence you have to confirm that Isabella Andrews and Alexander Hall were the parents of your Isabella?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 06 March 17 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Just looking at the Bishops Transcripts for Bamburgh
for some strange reason I can not attach the record

Richard Hall son of Richard Hall and his wife Mary
baptised 17th September 1776

abode looks like Spundelston Hills ?
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 06 March 17 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed that in the 1851 census in Great Grimsby and a fellow lodger and engineer (and the entry immediately below that of Stanwix Harwood) is Robert Hall b 1818 Dunston, Durham. This could be the Robert Hall whose baptism I noted in an earlier post (11 November 1818 in Whickham).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 06 March 17 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a marriage date and place for Isabella Hall junior
this would confirm her fathers occupation and name

found it on free bmd
Newcastle Upon Tyne 1847
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 06 March 17 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi back again,

I'll try and answer all the questions.

No I don't have Isabella junior's marriage certificates. I'll have to try to obtain them.

Please don't anyone feel that they have to look into any more info or pursue this any further. I was only initially after a bit of thought about the Seg Hill issue, I'm more then happy to leave it at that and I'm very grateful for all the help I've had so far.  :)

I plotted this part of my tree some years ago, I can't remember how I got the Isabella the elder/Alexander Hall link. I was confident in it when I started posting in this until the flaws were pointed out, now I'm not so sure.  ???

In terms of Isabella Juniors marriage to Stanwix Harwood, all I have is the registration year, 1847, quarter Jul-Aug-Sep and that it was Newcastle upon Tyne. I've not been able to find any banns or anything like that which would narrow it down. I've got no idea what faith they had so I don't know if they were non-conformists or not.

I think that was everything, thanks for all the help.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the trail that William has uncovered, I, like him, am not convinced that Alexander is the father of Isabella junior.

You need to get her marriage certificates to set you on the right course.

When you have got evidence of her father's name, do let us know  :)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I managed to order what is hopefully Isabella juniors marriage certificate to Stanwix last night so we should have that in 15 - 20 days.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to order the certificate for her second marriage, to Michael Buckley, as I was advised to as I can't seem to find a date or place for that. I've tried searching for Isabella Hall, Isabella Harwood and Michael Buckley but I've had no luck.

Hopefully the Stanwix one will be enough?
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 12:37 GMT (UK) »
4th quarter 1862, Caistor 7a, 1218, Michael Buckley, on the same page Isabella Harewood.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Lincolnshire Chronicle 26 Dec 1862

At the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Great Grimsby, on the 16th inst, (by the Rev John Stephenson), Mr Michael Buckley, engine fitter, to Mrs Isabella Harewood, widow.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)