Author Topic: This branch of the RIDLER family has me confused.  (Read 5800 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: This branch of the RIDLER family has me confused.
« Reply #36 on: Monday 27 March 17 02:20 BST (UK) »
Emily (a.k.a.  Emma)  BROKER

Emily BROKER (widow) married Benjamin EDE of Ashburton on 16 March 1916 (which was after the death of her daughter Harriet and g/daughter, Ethel).

[I did wonder if Ethel had maybe lived previously with her grandmother Emily at Ashburton  (and possibly Harriet lived there with her widowed mother too ?)
William BROOKER (junior) and his older brother Henry BROOKER can be found at Waipukurau from about 1900.  Maybe the brothers (uncles) offered a home to Harriet and Ethel ? ]

Emily EDE died in 1928 aged 81 years.   She was buried at Ashburton Cemetery on 4 August 1928 and shares a plot with her first husband, William BROKER.
                                                                                                                     ... next >

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 27 March 17 02:43 BST (UK) »
... whoops ... I see I've repeated info you already had.   ;D   

Will look over your reply shortly .   I have trouble posting here mid-afternoons ... everything seems to seize up for about an hour, then it comes right.  Annoying if you're in the middle of adding something.  ::)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 27 March 17 03:02 BST (UK) »
... duh ... I completely missed the death notices in the "Ashburton Guardian".   

Anyway, here is the one for Harriet.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AG19160211.2.2.1

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 27 March 17 03:07 BST (UK) »

There was a death notice for Ethel in the Ashburton Guardian 8 Feb 1916, = "..at the residence of her Uncle, W. Brooker, Hastings, Ethel Brooker, late of Hugh Street, Hampstead; aged 17 years." but haven't found one in that paper for Harriet.   

Emily BROKER resided at Hugh Street, Hampstead ... 1911 / 1914 / ... even in 1919 there's a listing which hasn't been removed from roll (though she's shown as Emily EDE in the Ashburton supplementary roll of 1919.)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 27 March 17 03:23 BST (UK) »
In case you haven't seen it, the Will of Benjamin EDE  >

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9M7-Z836?mode=g&i=43&cc=1865481

[Rather sweet ... he bequeaths property to a grandson with a proviso that Emily have two rooms in the dwelling house, plus he should also provide Emily with ... "all the fruit she may require and whatever vegetables she may require for her own use."  ;D ]

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 27 March 17 03:50 BST (UK) »

Is there any way to work out where Mary Ann BROKER and John PHIPPS were married, 16 Sept 1901/3098, without buying the print out?

... Intention to Marry notices are only indexed up to 1881 so unless you are absolutely certain about where the marriage occurred, then it's not really reasonable to request a lookup of same.  :D

I thought that the wording in the account of the PHIPPS v. PHIPPS divorce (earlier in thread), suggested that they may have wed in Wellington ... "16 September 1901 ... after inhabiting Wellington for some time ... " ???

I can't find John PHIPPS on a Wellington roll before or around 1900-01 ??

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 27 March 17 03:52 BST (UK) »
Divorce of Mary Ann :

PHIPPS v. PHIPPS

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZTR19161209.2.20.5

~  Lu

^  link to Divorce article.

Also ... the birth of the child Cecil John BROKER - was registered at Wellington in the 4th quarter of 1900.

~  Lu

Offline hettyhen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 03 April 17 03:25 BST (UK) »
Lu, Thank you for the will reference, haven’t seen a bequest like that before!
Just a few more bits to add before I close this thread once again.
Have been trying to track this family and they seem to live in Hastings and/or Pakipaki (about 7 km south of Hastings) where the men worked at the freezing works.
Henry and Margaret were living at Pakipaki as meat inspector at Borthwicks Freezing works when the 1931 Hawke’s Bay earthquake happened. See link to grandson’s recollection.
http://collection.mtghawkesbay.com/search.do;jsessionid=q7M1iv7o7FgDBLDFD-3vv8+U?id=43847&db=object&page=1&view=detail
Henry was killed, death NZBDM 3 Feb 1931/908 as BROOKES age given as 65=yob of 1866,
and various other DOBs of 1863, 1865, 1866.
Margaret COGHLAN in the “Recollection” is referred to as “other family members” but haven’t found a link as yet.
1928 COGHLAN family are Isabella, married to William David COGHLAN, Pakipaki shepherd.
1935 E/R Margaret COGHLAN c1910 on as spinster, but no sign of Isabella & William David COGHLAN.
1935 E/R BROOKER Dorothy May spinster, Elizabeth married, Hilda Irene spinster, William yardman & William David drover all live at Pakipaki.
In the search found another birth with mother Mary Ann DOB 13 Jan 1891 which would make
 Mary Ann born 6 Jan 1879 only just 12, so maybe not hers.
Also, another Bride's Christian name, unrelated to this family but just popped out at me!
HeatherR
Lanarkshire=Robertson-Ross-Russell-Neilson.
Staffordshire= Harrison-Jackson-Round
London=Poswillo-Hyams-Karby-Dossett-Baram-Detloff-Hyman
Gibralter=Poswillo
Dorset= Attwooll-Read-Northover
Australia=Karby-Meyer

Offline angst1886

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 21 May 17 02:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather
I have only just picked up this discussion, and if I had seen it earlier I would have saved all the searching that others have been doing, because Mary Ann was my grandmother and her husband Frederick was my grandfather and I have done a lot of research into them (apart from what I already knew) and which I have known for half a century - sound's awful, doesn't it.

I don't know how many keystrokes you are allowed on this site, and the story is more than a bit long.   I understand that you say your grandmother was born in 1885, so that makes her Rebecca unless I am mistaken, or my records are wrong - that is, if she was born Broker/Brooker.

Let me know if you are interested in communicating on this, perhaps on e-mail.

Cheers