Author Topic: William Perkins ANY INFO!  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Helen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Perkins ANY INFO!
« on: Wednesday 27 July 05 19:12 BST (UK) »
Trying to trace William Perkins who married Mary Griffin in 1797 in Thringstone. His date of birth would be really useful!
Thanks

Offline vicky0607

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Perkins ANY INFO!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 01:17 BST (UK) »
Hello
I saw your post on William Perkins & Mary Griffin did you find the info?
Marriage date 13 Nov 1797 Whitwick, Leicester

I checked for birth records but if you can narrow it dwn it would help., any idea of how how he was when he married mary?  Was he born in Whitwick?

Thanks
Vicky      I am also seeking Perkins in Leicester,  my grandfather was William Richard Perkins 1892
and that's what i've been researching.

Offline carole ann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 August 10 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicky
I was interested to see you post. I am trying to find a Joseph Griffin Perkins. The Griffin bit is only on his marriage cert in Portsmouth 1855.In it it says his father was William, but he was a butcher. I don't know whether this is the Joseph Perkins I am looking for, but the marriage of William to Mary Griffin was a bit of a clue. Could he be the son of William and Mary? In 1861 in Portsmouth he says he came from Leicestershire. In 1841/51 he is in Whitick. I couldn't find this Joe in 1861/71 but found him in 1881 living in Basford Carlton Notts. Could he have come to Portsmouth. On the 1841 census there is a Jacob living with William and Mary( next door to Joe) He is in the 1871/81/01 in Portsmouth. This was another clue. Does this ring any bells with you?  If you think I am on the right track, I have quite a lot of info on him. Although his wife Mary Ann Perkins says she is a widow(1871 census) I don't think this is true. Hope you can help, getting desparate.
Carol

Offline vicky0607

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
You wrote me some time ago, someone else wrote me today asking for Williams date of birth which i didn't have.
 i did a quick search for you and found :William & Mary had a son Joseph (he married Mary Ann Churcher in Dec 1855 in Portsea)  Joseph was christened  13 Aug 1815 in Whickwick, Leicester.  Do you have williams date of birth?  Anyway i hope this is of some help.

regards
Vicky

Offline vicky0607

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been searching, do you have any idea of his parents? That would help me.  Both parents or any one of their names.

thanks
vicky

Offline carole ann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicky
You are an angel, I have been serching for so long. Joseph was my gr gr grandfather. I can't fathom out how he came to be in Portsmouth (near to where I live) The only link I could make was with a Jacob Perkins who was also in Portsmouth. In the 1871 census Mary Ann says she was a widow????? but I have been to the cemetary and she is buried alone. I found a Joseph Perkins 1881 census (b Whitwick) living in Basford Carlton. I think this maybe him. I also found a death Ashby De La Zouch in 1883 or 4. I may send for the death cert. I have a criminal record for Joe in Portsmouth 1849!!!!!! On his 3 childrens birth and marriage certs, he is a blacksmith, a journeyman, a hawker and a general dealer. What do you make of that?
I am now going to serch for possible brothers a sisters, I can do this now that I have the right link.
If you need any info on more of his family let me know.
I don't have a birth date for William as I don't know who his parents were. On Joe's marriage cert he says his father was a butcher!!!! I think the family must have done a lot of jobs.
Thank you once again for your help
Carole

Offline vicky0607

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 August 10 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

I have a ton of Perkins on my tree but I don't have these that we've discussed. I just looked it up for you.  Is there anything else I can do?

REGARDS
VICKY

Offline carole ann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 August 10 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicky
Yes I need all the help I can get. I have put 2 & 2 together Joseph 'Griffin' Perkins was my gr gr grandfather.The name griffin is only on the marriage cert, it says his father was William..a butcher. so I thought maybe his father was married  to Mary Griffin. In Portsmouth he is only mentioned in the 1861 census and he had 3 daughters. I found a criminal record in Portsmouth when he was a hawker, other reference's were general dealer, blacksmith, journeyman!! In 1841 he is living next door to William and Mary and Jacob at St Georges Chappelry Whitwick. This Joe was in Whitwick in 1841/51 and I couldn't find him on 1861!! but found who I think could be him in Portsmouth. Although his wife said she was a widow in 1871 I don't think this is true. I then found a Jacob Perkins in the navy and was in Portsmouth. I made this connection to justify why Joe was in Portsmouth. In 1881 there is a Joe in Basford Carlton Notts who was  born in Thringstone.. I then found a death in Ashby de la Zouch in 1884 and i'm thinking of sending for cert. All this is pure speculation and hope on my part as I have been searching for this character for so long, it's driving me mad
I hope you can make sense of what I have said. Help!!!
Carole

Offline vicky0607

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 August 10 04:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole Ann,

I searched on william Perkins & Mary Griffin Perkins (their children)  only 2 come up Jabob who was christened 24 Jan 1819 & Joseph who you already have. 
I searched for Mary Griffin, there are 2 births both born in Whitwick, the first was born to thomas griffin & sarah on 25 Oct 1772 and the other to a robert griffin and Fanny on 05 Jan 1777. You should be able to tell which matches by the censuses is theres any.

I checked on William but he did not come from Whitwick and since its a common name harder to track if we dont know where he came from in Leicester. Joseph birth cert may state something, maybe.

I'm still checking on more info.

vicky