Author Topic: William Perkins ANY INFO!  (Read 2489 times)

Offline vicky0607

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Perkins ANY INFO!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 August 10 06:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole Ann

I have had no luck at all finding these census's that you have 1841, i could not find william, mary or jacob all living together.  I seached on all the census's you have and have not found one that matches. None of the Joseph's i seached for match the locations, like whitwick, basfors, etc.   It seems you have much better luck than i have had.
Are you using ancestry or another site?

vicky

Offline carole ann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 August 10 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicky
Thank you for looking. I have been using Genes Reunited. Having foung Joseph b Thringstone in 1841.I also looked at others in that page and found William Mary and Jacob and they are under PIrkins. When I found Joseph in Portsmouth it is spelt PArkEns. This family are not making it easy for me. in 1881 Jo is 60 b 1821 a boarder,Main Street Basford Carlton. b Thringstone/Whitwick(all same place) Leics.
I will do a fresh post and see if anybody can help me.
There are just so many Perkins and Griffins!!
Thanks for your help
Carole
Sorry if you get this message twice, but the internet connection is playing up.

Offline vicky0607

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 August 10 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol Ann,

All those mis spellings explains why I couldn't find anything.  I would send for the certificates at this point. :)

Good Luck, hope you find your puzzle peices.

cheers
Vicky

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 April 23 23:08 BST (UK) »
I’ve just been searching the perkins name and come across this post.  I have Jacob Perkins in my tree too.  Living at the chapelery Whitwick.  He’s a direct descendant of my husbands.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 April 23 04:24 BST (UK) »
If its of any interest, I have the CD's of Leicester Quarter Sessions and the Removal & Settlement Order Books, bought from the Leics & Rutland FHS, and this looks like the same family:

Easter Quarter Sessions 1821
William Perkins & Mary his wife.
Children: Elizabeth 21, Ann 14, Mary 13, Sarah 11, Charlotte 9, Joseph 6 & Jacob 2.

The case concerned a disputed Removal Order and was between Melbourne Derbyshire (Appellant) and Thringstone (Respondent). 

The notes say the decision was respited, then at the Michaelmas Quarter Sessions 1821 there is an identical case (minus Elizabeth) between Measham (Appellant) and Thringstone (Respondent). 

The decision was again respited but the family doesn't appear in the next quarter sessions.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 April 23 06:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Jomot,

This all sounds very interesting and very likely to be whom I’m searching for.   Would you just
Mind
Explaining what this information
Is as it’s something nice never come across before.  Many thanks

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 April 23 11:55 BST (UK) »
This link should give you a bit of background on Removal & Settlement:
https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/settlement-certificates-examinations-and-removal-orders-parish-poor-law/

The details on the CD are minimal, but it seems that Thringstone parish tried to remove the family to Melbourne Derbyshire, who appealed that decision, presumably claiming that the family was not their responsibility.  The matter was therefore sent to the Quarter Sessions (local courts, held quarterly) who respited it (held it over).

It looks like Thringstone then tried to remove the family to Measham instead, and Measham also appealed.  The decision was once again held over, but the family isn't listed in the Quarter Sessions after that.

The original documents are at Leicester Archives, but may not tell you much more.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline PERKO14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 April 23 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the explanation.  Reading some of the previous comments on this thread and the criminal
Activities of the brothers it’s seems they may have been a bit of a rogue bunch shall we say!