Author Topic: The Grange, Upper Longdon  (Read 2997 times)

Offline sljrice

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Grange, Upper Longdon
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 October 17 19:22 BST (UK) »
I live at the Grange now, so this is sooo facinating :).

A man who lives at Russel's Bank said that there had been a couple who lived on Lower way, who worked on the forests during the 30s and that the lady at the Grange had used to invite the men to play cards at the house. The house was of Italian style with pillars.

I have literally just found a great article with a picture, which Gareth Evans has written. http://www.longdon-staffs.info/uploads/Longdon_Life_60.pdf.

Any other updates would be great, like why/when was it knocked down.

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 October 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks sljrice, that article about the grange was so interesting.  My grandmother was born at the house next to the chapel and opposite the Grange in 1876, her parents having farmed there from 1850. I wondered why their address was given as The Brambles on the 1851 census as I had not thought the house had ever been given that name, it was obviously the area not the house.  As a child I often stayed at the house and played in The Dimbles at the back, I remember all the blackberry bushes. The chapel next door was still used and there was a lane down the side down to the well. We got off the Midland Red bus on the main road opposite St James Church and walked up Dark lane to the cottage, I remember the steep banks on each side. It was a treat for my sister and I to be taken to the kennels to see the hounds.
There were open fields opposite my great grandparents house and we played Cowboys and Indians with homemade bows and arrows.  My family were the Harvey's and the house was sold when my great aunt died in 1963. It was demolished and a new house built.  I visited Longdon about four years ago and was amazed to see all the housing.
My childhood was in the 1950s and I have no memory of the Grange but I do remember the name being mentioned as many of the female members of the Harvey family were in service in the late 19th and early 20th century and may have worked there.
Sorry to have rambled on but it did bring memories of happy summer holidays.

Offline CezzaE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 08:55 BST (UK) »
That's an interesting post Thornwood thank you for that

The Gareth Evans that has written the article is my brother and he has written 3 installments for Longdon Life (the local free mag) I believe that only the first installment has been published and there is another 2 in the offing.  - it was meant to be just 1 but he has got a bit carried away with his research  ;) ;) ;)

Evans
Wolfenden  & Clarke (for Hubby)
Owen
Jones
Phillips
Smith
(all welsh names as we appear to have the lot on one side)

Offline AdeQ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 October 23 19:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks sljrice, that article about the grange was so interesting.  My grandmother was born at the house next to the chapel and opposite the Grange in 1876, her parents having farmed there from 1850. I wondered why their address was given as The Brambles on the 1851 census as I had not thought the house had ever been given that name, it was obviously the area not the house.  As a child I often stayed at the house and played in The Dimbles at the back, I remember all the blackberry bushes. The chapel next door was still used and there was a lane down the side down to the well. We got off the Midland Red bus on the main road opposite St James Church and walked up Dark lane to the cottage, I remember the steep banks on each side. It was a treat for my sister and I to be taken to the kennels to see the hounds.
There were open fields opposite my great grandparents house and we played Cowboys and Indians with homemade bows and arrows.  My family were the Harvey's and the house was sold when my great aunt died in 1963. It was demolished and a new house built.  I visited Longdon about four years ago and was amazed to see all the housing.
My childhood was in the 1950s and I have no memory of the Grange but I do remember the name being mentioned as many of the female members of the Harvey family were in service in the late 19th and early 20th century and may have worked there.
Sorry to have rambled on but it did bring memories of happy summer holidays.

I know this is an old thread but I live in the House next to the Chapel and it wasn't demolished - possibly just added to. I'd be very happy to find out its history. Based on the above its at least 1850.