Author Topic: 28 Glen Gardens, Callander  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: 28 Glen Gardens, Callander
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 May 22 18:07 BST (UK) »
Still here, and welcome to RootsChat.

I do have quite a lot of information about Marjory, sent to me privately by others who have posted in this thread.

Marjorie Moug was the illegitimate daughter of Margaret Marjory Durnin, widow of David Moug (spellings vary). So she is not a blood relation of my Moug family.

She married James MacDonald in 1951.

However on James' death certificate she is named as Marjory Douglas, and there are eight births of children to James MacDonald and Marjory Douglas between 1928 and 1950. On all but the first one the parents say they were married on 2 January 1925 in Fremantle, Western Australia. There is no matching marriage in the marriage index for Western Australia.

I speculate that Marjory Margaret Mugg/Moug and Marjory Douglas are one and the same; that her father's name was possibly Douglas; and that for some reason James and she could not marry (perhaps he was already married) so they invented a fictional marriage in a place so distant that it would be unlikely that anyone would try to enquire about it. I noted that the birth certificate of their eldest, born in 1928, suggests that they were not married, because it was signed by both James and Marjory.

As far as I know Marjory's mother Margaret Marjory Durnin/Durno/Durhan/Durnie etc was born and lived her whole life in Kincardineshire. I don't think she could have gone to live in Fife between 1905, when her youngest son by her husband was born in Kincardineshire, and 1909, when Marjory was born, also in Kincardineshire, because she had six children already whom she could hardly have abandoned.

However it is quite possible that Marjory's father, name unknown but maybe Douglas, could have come from Fife.

Margaret Marjory Durnin was also illegitimate. Her father Peter Durnin absconded after fathering her and was last heard of in Glasgow. He could have moved at a later date to Fife.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline LFowler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 May 22 21:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that info. The names and spellings do seem to keep changing. We believe my great grandmother was a Governess at Kelburn castle. So I was just wondering if Margaret had any links to that area but it doesn’t sound like it. It seems like we have three different illegitimate children in different areas by the same man. So he must have moved around, perhaps for his job.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 May 22 19:32 BST (UK) »
Do you mean that Marjory Margaret Moug was a governess?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline LFowler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 May 22 22:20 BST (UK) »
No, sorry. My Great Grandmother, Marion Primrose Ross was a Governess. She had my Grandmother, Hope Primrose Ross as an illegitimate child. We have a DNA match to Angus MacDonald as a 1st or 2nd cousin. I think the link is through the father of Marjory Mugg(Moug). All the MacDonald men at the right level of the family tree are a bit old so it’s unlikely they are the father. We also have a stronger DNA link to a 1st cousin who is also an illegitimate child.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 May 22 08:12 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandmother, Marion Primrose Ross was a Governess. She had my Grandmother, Hope Primrose Ross as an illegitimate child. We have a DNA match to Angus MacDonald as a 1st or 2nd cousin.

Can I just ask, is your 1st/2nd cousin match a living person?

We are not allowed to post info. of living/possibly living persons i.e. using initials would be an idea.

What are your shared cMs & how many segments with A MacD?

Have you gone through your shared matches with A MacD?

These may be useful to you (I found them both very helpful)...

https://www.danaleeds.com/the-leeds-method/

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

The connections are only a guide to possibilities & further investigation is useful (I'd recommend) with the above links!

I have a 578 cM across 21 segments match (1st/2nd cousin) who has (so far) turned out to be different from the 1st/2nd cousin approximation!

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline LFowler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 29 May 22 08:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie. The highest matching cousin Ella (1636 cM) has died unfortunately, but we worked out the link to our family through her granddaughter. AMacD shares 1154cM. The next two highest are 404 and 372, but they are not responding to messages and have no family tree on ancestry for me to compare names on. Everyone else is 178 and less. So, I don’t think we’ll work out who the man was that fathered these three girls unless someone else related to him does a DNA test at some point in the future. I think we just need to accept that now, but thanks for your help.