Author Topic: Finding an ancestor listed on Census 1901 and 1911 born in different locstions  (Read 2390 times)

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My ancestor John Lonsdale is listed as being born in England from National Archives: Census of Ireland Year 1901. He is living in Antrim, Court Ward, Sherbrook Street with his wife Catherine and family.

Census of Ireland, 1911, he is identified as being born in Co. Antrim. A family member has told us that John Lonsdale may have been born in Manchester, England but we have no proof.

Where do I try to find John Lonsdale?  I can't locate his marriage certificate that may help solve the mystery.  Please help? :(

Murray and Campbell

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding an ancestor listed on Census 1901 and 1911 born in different locstions
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

When was he born?
Have you looked at FreeBMD (.org.uk) for his birth?
Or LancashireBMD for just Lancashire births?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Finding an ancestor listed on Census 1901 and 1911 born in different locstions
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Do you know Catherine's maiden name and DOB?

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 14:31 GMT (UK) »
1911 census gives John Lonsdale as age 59- married 29 years-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Court_Ward/Sherbrook_Street/149984
age 50 in 1901 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Court_Ward/Sherbook_Street/947148

Unfortunately this places his birth before the start of civil registration in Ireland.

Birth certificate for son Stanley lists mother as Catherine Matchet-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1908/01669/1664650.pdf

Can't see marriage in Ireland yet.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 14:43 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth for Catherine Matchett born 1864 Belfast.
Marriage for Catherine Matchett to John Lousdale 1881 4Q Belfast.
Could this be who you are looking for?

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat muriellecampbell

My OH's GGF 1911 census return states he was born in Dublin and the 1901 states India
He was born in India

I don't know why they differ for definite, it may be because
he was living with his mother in 1901 who would have said exactly where he was born
maybe he said Dublin as he didn't want to ask questions about India
maybe he wasn't present when the census enumerator came around and the person filling out the form said where he thought he was from

I'll never know but I am sure that he is the same man
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:47 GMT (UK) »
I have seen different variations of John Lonsdale such as Lausdale as it appears in his marriage to Catherine Matchett in 1881.  I'm curious of the 4Q Belfast.  What does that mean?

Also in the Belfast City Council burial search there is John Lonsdale and his wife Catherine Matchett with 4 children in the same burial plot.  The children were listed as Priscilla, Walter, William and Alice.  We believe that Alice may have died as a result of a fire.  How would I find a newspaper article identifying the truth of her death on January 13, 1903?  Or it is another child listed in this burial plot?  Would love to hear more. :-\
Murray and Campbell

Offline muriellecampbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 16:52 GMT (UK) »
To the kind persons who have provided some help or verification for my ancestor John Lonsdale.  That is a first for me finding out that John could have been born in Dublin or India.  I would need to know more if that is truly the case for John.  That is very intriguing to me.  Could someone verify for me? :o
Murray and Campbell