Author Topic: Charles Small born c1857. Angus - Rescobie or Coupar Angus.  (Read 10741 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Charles McKenzie Rescobie Parish - brick wall.
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 17:11 GMT (UK) »
For the avoidance of duplication see another thread on the same family
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=767929

Just to clarify things (sorry if I've done this wrong) the Charles McKenzie or Small here is the son of the Charles Small mentioned in the other thread. Same family but different people, father and son. Sorry for the confusion.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Small born c1857. Angus - Rescobie or Coupar Angus.
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 17:17 GMT (UK) »
This has to be the most confusing part of the research I think. Having said that; he wasn't present on the birth certificate.
As Ann's husband, he didn't have to be present. Nothing specially unusual there.

Something very strange there, it wasn't signed by Anne either.  ???
She didn't have to be present either. The birth could be registered by anyone who, in the eyes of the Registrar, was suitably qualified to supply the correct information - a grandparent, a neighbour, a midwife, a friend.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 17:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm not entirely sure either. It could be something to do with Leonard Small's name since Charles was born as Charles Henderson not Charles Small.
Yes, that could be it. If the birth had been registered as Henderson but Leonard wanted to be known as Leonard Small, and his children's birth certificates to reflect that, then he might have needed to make a deposition and get it corroborated by a minister.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 17:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm not entirely sure either. It could be something to do with Leonard Small's name since Charles was born as Charles Henderson not Charles Small.
Yes, that could be it. If the birth had been registered as Henderson but Leonard wanted to be known as Leonard Small, and his children's birth certificates to reflect that, then he might have needed to make a deposition and get it corroborated by a minister.

This is the birth extract for Charles Henderson aka Small.

I'm curious as to who signed the birth cert there. The registrar I would assume? Perhaps I'm getting too bogged down with small (no pun intended  ;D  ::) ) details. I guess a part of me is still quite vigilant to illegitimate births given what I found out about my grandfather not really being a McKenzie after all. But everything seems to point to Charles Small actually being a Charles Small. Now to investigate Leonard Small/Henderson. Now I have somewhere to go. These things aren't easy at times. All part and parcel of the fun though.

Much thanks to everyone here who has supplied advice and details. :)
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 17:39 GMT (UK) »
The informant is Leonard Small, presumably the father of the child. 'Not present' doesn't mean that he wasn't present when the birth was registered. It means that he was not present in the house when the birth took place.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 17:44 GMT (UK) »
The informant is Leonard Small, presumably the father of the child. 'Not present' doesn't mean that he wasn't present when the birth was registered. It means that he was not present in the house when the birth took place.

AH!! I see! My misunderstanding there then. That makes things easier to understand then. The RCE must just be a name issue with Leonard Small. No worries, thanks for clearing that up. Silly me! lol
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 17:52 GMT (UK) »
The RCE must just be a name issue with Leonard Small.
Yes, but the question then arises, why was Charles originally registered as Henderson?

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 17:53 GMT (UK) »
The RCE must just be a name issue with Leonard Small.
Yes, but the question then arises, why was Charles originally registered as Henderson?

Indeed. I'm trying to research Leonard Hendersons and Leonard Smalls to see if I can make any connections. Will update. Got to get back to my uni work meantime however. I get far too distracted by family research sometimes and it tends to take up a lot of time. Will peruse this later this evening. :)
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 18:10 GMT (UK) »
There is also the following info in the 1851 census. This is interesting as you will notice the surname Johnstone mentioned again. In the 1871 census 11 year old Charles Small was living with Ann Small aged 41 and a Janet Johnstone (I think it's Janet) aged 49. With the information that Leonard and Ann married in 1853, the reason why she is named Small in 1851 is a bit confusing. Not sure where to go from here. This family seems so messy!
I think this family is a red herring, at least it is at present. There could, I suppose, be a link further back on the Small side.

It's quite normal for a married woman to be listed in the earlier census under her maiden surname. This is the family of George Small and Isabella Johnston.

I also happen to know that their daughter Ann, aged 23 in the 1851 census, could not be the Ann Mackay who married Leonard Small, because Ann Small, daughter of George Small and Isabella Johnston, married my 3rd cousin 4 times removed, Joseph Moug, a few weeks before Leonard Small married Ann Mackay. Joseph and Ann had 10 children, and died in 1882 and 1900 respectively, all in Glamis.

I suggest that you dismiss the idea that there is any close relationship between your Smalls and either of these Johnston(e) ladies, as I think that pursuing that line of enquiry is only likely to muddy the waters of your research.