Author Topic: Lawrence Buddo Waters ; born 8 Nov 1875, St Andrews, Scotland  (Read 2481 times)

Offline Shell Bee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lawrence Buddo Waters ; born 8 Nov 1875, St Andrews, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 March 20 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Dear Chiad,

I have just read your conversation on Rootschat with interest. Laurie Waters was my great grandfather - I live in Cape Town, South Africa and he is my Mom's grandfather (Jessie Moira Waters). Laurie ended his days in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) after first living in South Africa as you know.

I am trying to find out more and about his wife's side of the family. In fact, a few years back I visited St. Andrews for this purpose and ended up having quite an emotional trip.

I am curious as to your connection and am so glad to have read your messages (and the replies you received). I hope you get this one!

Rachelle

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 March 20 21:16 GMT (UK) »
1901 -

Peter Waters 50 b. St Andrews. Fisherman
Mary Waters wife 49 b. St Andrews
Peter Waters son 27 b. St Andrews. Fisherman
Lawrence Waters son 25 b. St Andrews. Golf Club Maker
Betsy Waters dau 23 b. St Andrews. Servant
John Waters son 21 b. St Andrews. Caddie
Henry Waters son son 19 b. St Andrews. Golf Club Maker
Peter Waters Father 76 b. St Andrews
Lizzie Waters serv 30 b. Re, cellardy  ???
Betsy Gourlay serv 16 b. St Andrews
Euphemia Gourlay niece 11 b. St Andrews

Living at 39 North Street, St Andrews.

JJ

The census taker seems to have been so hypnotised by all the Waters individuals that he gave Lizzie Watson's name as Waters too, or maybe he misheard Watson as Waters. As I said in a previous post, Lizzie Watson, born in Cellardyke, 9 miles from St. Andrews, married the youngest of the 3 men called Peter Waters. It's interesting that she was working as a servant to the family at this time in 1901. She married Peter 3 years later. By this time most of her Cellardyke relatives were up in Torry, the trawler port of Aberdeen, and only her brother Jimmy Watson remained behind in Cellardyke where he went to the fishing with his 2nd cousin William Watson, my grandfather.

Harry

Offline Shell Bee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 March 20 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Harry,

Thank you for responding - it is all so interesting. There is so much to find out and it is all rather time consuming. Aside from Lawrence (Laurie) Waters, I am also trying to find out more about his wife Jessie Morrison Mackenzie who was born in 1873 in Lochinver, Sutherland, Scotland but there seems to be little information.

I am looking forward to coming back to St. Andrews later this year.

Thank you again.
Rachelle

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rachelle

Sorry it's taken time to respond to your post but I see Harry has provided you with a lot of information.

I have no direct link with Lawrence although he is in among the outer branches of my tree through marriage(s)

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk