Author Topic: Finding where John Concannon of Bilston came from in Ireland  (Read 557 times)

Offline TuiBird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding where John Concannon of Bilston came from in Ireland
« on: Thursday 16 March 17 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know the likely origins of John Concannon who moved to Bilston and was an Iron works labourer?  He married Bridget McDonough, passed away in 1906 and is buried in Bilston cemetery. 

The relevant census returns are confusing suggesting birth years of 1851,1847 and 1841 with place of origin as Galway or Mayo.  Currently I think he may be the son of John and Mary (Diskin) Concannon of Tuam, Galway, but I have no way of confirming this.

Thanks for your help - anyone.

PS my interest is that John is a great grandfather on the distaff side of my family.

Bird, Concannon, Harley, Ellaway, McDonough

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Finding where John Concannon of Bilston came from in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 March 17 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi TB,

I don't mean to seem cheeky but it would be more helpful if you stated where Bilston was/is as it saves having to 'google' if people can relate to a County & Country.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 March 17 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Bilston Staffordshire? What does it say on the 1911 census as if in the UK then that census was filled in by the head of house and signed, did he sign it, so more likely to be correct
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline TuiBird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Finding where John Concannon of Bilston (Staffordshire) came from in Ireland
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 March 17 04:32 GMT (UK) »
He died in 1906 and is buried with his wife in the Bilston Staffordshire.

Ps thanks for hint of specifics in title. Was my first post  :)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 March 17 07:03 GMT (UK) »
I think there are 2 John Concannon's, both married to Bridget?

1891 Census, in Chapel Street, Bilston:
John (44) is an Iron Works Labourer
With Bridget(38), James(17), John(14), Joseph(12), Katie(10), William(8 ), Rodolph(5), and Ferdinand(1)

1891 Census, in Well Street, Wolstanton:
John(50) is a Tailor.
With Bridget(47), James(23), Catherine(15)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline TuiBird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 March 17 07:26 GMT (UK) »
You are probably right.  John is a very common name in the Concannon family together with James, Joseph, Patrick and a few others.  It gets quite confusing sorting through them.  Bridget was also really popular at the time.

I think there is another Concannon branch in Yorkshire at the time with a John of the same vintage in it.

My interest is primarily with the Bilston based family.

I remember finding a Bridget Cullen in the mix and confusing her with Bridget McDonough because in the census returns for chapel street there is an Annie Cullen who is noted either as cousin or mother in law in different years.  Tough to be both although I guess stranger things have happened.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 March 17 08:34 GMT (UK) »
There was another thread on Rootschat about this family (you've posted a reply on it, TuiBird).

they were married on 17th feb 1873 in the bilston cathlic chapel on oxford street bilston
The marriage certificate should show the name and occupation of John's father. This may not pin down a location in Ireland but might be useful to rule out any possible baptismal record for John at a later stage.

Have you tried contacting/been in contact with other relatives to see if they have any information on John?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline TuiBird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 March 17 09:11 GMT (UK) »
The other thread was very helpful in confirming information and providing knowledge on burials but seemed to have run its course, hence why I posted this question.  It's fantastic to see such active participation in the forum. 

I have what I can get from my immediate family which is why I joined this site.  Just getting used to using forums today.  Hopefully I have not caused too much confusion.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 March 17 09:15 GMT (UK) »
It would be a good idea to start looking for other descendants of John & Bridget to see if they've any other details on the family. The other thread was started a few years ago and lots of new resources online so the posters may have more information than was posted there.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!