Author Topic: Parish Records Births Farnham &/or Windlesham, Attfield  (Read 4328 times)

Offline DiOs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Parish Records Births Farnham &/or Windlesham, Attfield
« on: Thursday 28 July 05 00:45 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the birth of Richard Attfield, described in most records as "Richard of Farnham", probably born in Farnham or Windlesham in 1767 (IGI record), or 1771 (deceased researcher's records). He was married to Elizabeth Watmore in Holy Trinity in Gosport in 1795, (parish records confirm), and he was recorded living in almshouses in Farnham, "on charity, not of Surrey" on the 1841 census, aged 69. He died in 1844.

With all of this information, his birth and parentage remain a mystery, although I do know that he is my 3xg grandfather, as the name Watmore was passed down as a second given name through the generations until my Uncle Cecil Watmore Coleman.

If anyone can shed a little light on this mystery, I'd be most appreciative.

Di.

Offline webeyer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records Births Farnham &/or Windlesham, Attfield
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 April 08 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Di0s
Richard was also my 3x Great Grandfather!! I have been researching the Attfields for a while now, I also thought that Richard was living in the Alms houses on a charity basis, however somebody pointed me to a book by Nigel Temple called Farnham Buildings and People which says : Richard Attfield was a saddler and harness maker, he occupied 112 West Street for about 20 years and had a shop next door. It begs the question, how could he have ended up on charity?
Richards father was James attfield, born 3 Feb. 1747 in Farnham ,died 1825, unfortunatly I don't have his wifes details.
James was the son of Richard Attfield 1718-1793 and Anne Payn/Paine 1723-1803 born in Seale, Surrey. They were married at Godalming on the 28 Feb 1746. They were both buried in Seale.
Richards Father was Nathanial Attfield 1674 born in Woking, he married Jane Collier in Bisley on the 3 March 1697.
Nathanials Father was also Nathanial Attfield/Feild, he married Mary Vicary in Chobham Surrey on the 20 June 1671.

My Great, Great Grandfather was Frederick Watmore Attfield, he owned the Bear and ragged Staff pub in Wrecclesham and then ran the Post Office there.
I hope this has helped, best wishes from your distant cousin
                                    Helga

Offline watmore

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 December 09 12:50 GMT (UK) »
my name is derek coleman my father was cecil watmore coleman. he was born in 1895-7 & was 83 when he died. he had 2 sons by his first marriage & me by his 2nd i am 68 was born in southwick west sx ken &peter are most likely now dead. peter went to Australia for £10. if i can help more let me know.

Offline Kelly/Parker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 May 12 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have just been browing the entries that may connect with names in my tree. I wonder if Mary Attfield rings a bell. She married a Thomas Baigent and had a son Thomas born 1747. A lot of my Baigents seem to have been born or died in Windlesham.
Parker - Devon and Surrey, Walden - Northampton, Skinner - Devon, Freer - Hammersmith, Newcombe St. Pancras, Sweeting - Beckenham Kent, Elsey - Surrey, Godsmark - Sussex, Spring - Clapham, Willis - Chelsea, Gellard - Middlesex, Jones - Chelsea

Offline Deo83

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 February 18 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek, I am the daughter of Edgar James Coleman, brother of Cecil Watmore Coleman, so I am your cousin. I was a member of Rootschat as Dios originally probably about 10 years ago, but have just started to look at genealogy again, can't remember original detail, so had to re-register. I have a lot of detail of the Attfields, unfortunately on paper only now as my GED file is gone. We have met, when you were a little curly headed kid and I was doing some school practice as a student about to go to college, back in 1949. I am now 87, have lived in Canada since 1961, just south of Vancouver. Would be interested in hearing from you if you are interested. Best wishes to you, Diana aka Di.

PS My mum Nelly and your Grandmother were good friends, used to meet up in their old age, for a drink, I think.