Author Topic: Mary Johnston - Daughter of...  (Read 911 times)

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Johnston - Daughter of...
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 March 17 23:00 GMT (UK) »
The death was registered by the widower, Alexander Johnston...

I have searched for a marriage certificate but have been unable to find one as this can sometimes list the father. The couple had 5 children, 4 of whom were born in St. Fergus between 1825-36. Four were baptised and Mary is described as his wife, so there should be a marriage record somewhere. The eldest should have been born c.1824, Hugh Johnston, but I can find no record of baptism.

I can find no marriage certificate for Mary's parents Mr Johnston and a Christian Grant. This could be because they either weren't married or, given the discrepancies in the given father's name, the widower made another mistake while registering the death!

Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 March 17 23:05 GMT (UK) »
I should point out that I did find a record of Hugh's death.

His mother is listed as ________ Johnston (Ms Johnston).  ::)
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 March 17 23:27 GMT (UK) »
How do you know Mary's mother is Christian Grant?

I can see ten baptisms on familysearch with Christian Grant as the mother and George Johnston as the father between 1786 and 1811, some in Dalkeith and some in Berwick, but none for a Mary.

If the surnames are the same, did she marry cousin?  If so, can you get the connection by following his line back?
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 March 17 23:41 GMT (UK) »
How do you know Mary's mother is Christian Grant?

I can see ten baptisms on familysearch with Christian Grant as the mother and George Johnston as the father between 1786 and 1811, some in Dalkeith and some in Berwick, but none for a Mary.

If the surnames are the same, did she marry cousin?  If so, can you get the connection by following his line back?

The only mention of Christian Grant is on Mary's death certificate - which as we know could be problematic.

Mary's birth - according to the census was - in Marnoch which is in Banffshire. Her husband was St. Fergus - also Banffshire. If her father was a soldier I guess we cannot rule out them being down there at one point or another.

At present I have no idea if they were cousins, or if the surname thing is a co-incidence.

In terms of Mary's husband Alexander, his father (according to the death certificate) was Alexander Johnston, and his mother was Mary Park. Just to complicate things, his second wife was called Margaret Park. :D

The fact that his father was also Alexander Johnston may be what caused the confusion?