Author Topic: Harris family, Merthyr Tydfil 1851  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harris family, Merthyr Tydfil 1851
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Had the marriage cert for John Coombs and Ann Harris today (GRO, £8 PDF). Doesn't add much as I already knew the date and venue from someone researching the Coombes family, and like Sarah Ann's birth in 1867, is in the middle of two censuses so doesn't help locate them, but it does confirm Ann was aged 20 - wedding on 10 September 1866 - spinster from Pontgellifaclog (that's what it looks like anyway :-\ ), father David Harris, cordwainer. Witnesses William Evans and Margaret Thomas, none signed their names. 

John was from Penydarran, aged 21, coalminer, father George (deceased), iron puddler.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deirdre
could it read Pontgellifaelog, as that was an area of Merthyr?
Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deirdre
could it read Pontgellifaelog, as that was an area of Merthyr?
Mar

Thanks Mar, looks more like a 'c' than an 'e' but sounds better, and if you know there was an area called Pontgellifaelog then I'm more than happy to amend my tree entry  :)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deirdre, this piece in the Merthyr Telegraph of 1857 describes Pontgellifaelog as an area of Dowlais.
PILLAR LETTER BOXES FOR DOWLAIS. To the Editor of the Merthyr Telegraph.
SIR, I think all persons will concur in the opinion that the pillars recently erected at Merthyr, for the reception of letters, are a great convenience to the public; and if they are a convenience to the inhabitants of Merthyr, similar pillars, placed in convenient spots in Dowlais, would be a great accommodation to the inhabitants of that town likewise. What is sauce for the goose, is sauce for gander." I would, therefore, respectfully, suggest that three or four pillars are erected in various parts of Dowlais: one might' be placed at Caeharris one at the top of Mount Pleasant Street and one near Pontgellifaelog. It is because I consider that the above arrangement of pillars for letters would be a public boon, that I suggest it.

Thinking of the birth for Ann, it  must be one of the following if it happened in Merthyr and Ann was definitely born in 1846(+/- a year) as per her age given as 20 when she married?
HARRIS, ANN, but there is no mothers maiden name listed - what's that all about?
or    
GRO Reference: 1846  S Quarter in MERTHYR TYDFIL UNION  Volume 26  Page 427
HARRIS, ANN mmn WYNTER  
GRO Reference: 1845  S Quarter in MERTHYR TYDFIL UNION  Volume 26  Page 395

Doesn't help either with the other sibling David, as no consistent 'other, mmn for both of them
Mar
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Unless it wasn't registered, though Elizabeth and Sarah's appear to have been mmn Roberts. Will email Merthyr reg office tonight.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Worked out how to search them  :D unfortunately no women listed yet !!
Electoral Register for Merthyr
1873 - Coombs, John, dwelling house, 8 Cross Street, North of Mount Pleasant Street
1876 - Coombs, John, dwelling house, 11 Cross Street, South of Mount Pleasant Street
Surname Interests

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Gosh Mar, you have been busy! I like the newspaper report on the pillar boxes!

Are the electoral registers online? Even men had to own the house at that time, didn't they (to vote I mean). Another thing I need to read up on  ;D

That info is great though, means I can record their movements (was able to do that for my own great grandparents (1870s-1890s) by the birth and death records of their children - they lost 7 of 13). 

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 16:03 GMT (UK) »
John's wife Ann died at 11 Cross St (the cert says 11 Cross St Plantation, Penydarren), ie no comma between Cross St and Plantation. Does this mean anything to you (or make sense)?

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »
By 1881, John had re-married and was living in Penrhiwceiber  :)