Author Topic: County Cavan Marriage  (Read 4741 times)

Offline patsysmith

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: County Cavan Marriage
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 August 22 03:21 BST (UK) »
hello,

Patsy Smith here in Oakland, California, US, born 1963.  I just found this thread and joined RootsChat.  My grandparents all emigrated from County Cavan to the US in the early 1900s.  Smiths/Smyths, Ruddens, Brady, Dalys.  Cordingen/Cordegan, Drumnaveigh, Stradone, Laragh parish.  I'm in touch with many cousins and surviving aunts and uncles who stayed in Ireland, and also those who came to the States.  Someone on this thread previously posted comments they found from rootsweb. 

Some of those comments that were posted were actually mine:

"I have a family tree for the descendants of Thomas and Bernard, two brothers, from Cordegan, or Cordingin, Stradone, Laragh Parish, County Cavan. My great grandpa was Thomas, or Tommy the Tailor. You two folks are asking after his brother Barney's wife and their descendants - the latter with whom I was hanging out with in Ireland last week, and in San Francisco last night. The 1901 and 1911 census are online, so I can guess within a year or two of the birthyears based on reported age at a given year on the census. Barney was 54 on april 2, 1911 census, so he was born around 1857 or 56.
wife Maryann nee Brady was 43 same census. so she was born around 1868 or 1867, like you say Ann.
married 20 complete years on this census, so married around 1891. Here's the list of who is living in the household on the 1911 census, Residents of a house 2 in Cordingin (Larah South, Cavan):

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion
Rudden Bernard 54 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic
Rudden Mary Anne 43 Female Wife Roman Catholic
Rudden Mathew 19 Male Son Roman Catholic
Rudden James 14 Male Son Roman Catholic
Rudden Bernard 12 Male Son Roman Catholic
Rudden Thomas 10 Male Son Roman Catholic
Rudden Margret 8 Female Daughter Roman Catholic
Rudden Michael 2 Male Son Roman Catholic .

So Bill, the Tommy Rudden you speak of I believe was listed here as the son of Bernard. Based on age 10 at census, he was born around 1901

Mary Ann (nee Brady) Rudden was my great great aunt, she was married to barney rudden, the brother of my great grandfather thomas rudden. Yes, she is bill's great grandmother. Bill and I are third cousins due to our great grand dads being brothers.

I find the use of grand and great confusing, unless i'm misunderstanding something. For example, bill and I are the same generation, yet when describing the relationship of Mary Anne Nee Brady Rudden to each of us, she was doubly great to me, as my great, great Aunt, yet earns just a single great to bill, as his great grandmother."