Author Topic: Getting sidetracked by something you've seen  (Read 4266 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Getting sidetracked by something you've seen
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 March 17 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes, I once ended up trying to construct a family tree of local landowners.  All triggered by my daughter having homework where she had to find out why her street was called what it was called  ;D.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 March 17 14:25 GMT (UK) »

And did you solve the mystery??? ;D ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 March 17 14:37 GMT (UK) »

And did you solve the mystery??? ;D ;D

Well kind of they kept marrying their daughters off to each other's sons was very knotty, the tree
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 March 17 14:53 GMT (UK) »

;D ;D ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 March 17 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Newspapers are the worst for getting sidetracked.  There's always some interesting piece that catches your eye and off you go. ;D ;D

.........plus all the advertisements. I've also 'wasted' many hours thoroughly enjoying old newspapers.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 March 17 15:35 GMT (UK) »

.. and sometimes the style of language they use to describe very ordinary events.  Some of those old adverts can really make you smile ;D ;D

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 March 17 16:42 GMT (UK) »

.. and sometimes the style of language they use to describe very ordinary events.  Some of those old adverts can really make you smile ;D ;D

I read an article from the 1930s that referred to concerns that Hitler's actions could lead to war "preposterous scaremongering". Hindsight eh?

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 March 17 16:54 GMT (UK) »

I read an article from the 1930s that referred to concerns that Hitler's actions could lead to war "preposterous scaremongering". Hindsight eh?

Hindsight is always 20/20

Watched a very interesting movie yesterday about the resistance in Czech during WWII and then OH watched another one today about the Nazi's in Holland, but it was in Dutch so a bit heavy going for me :-\

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 March 17 17:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm always getting sidelined by something I discover, and from very idle curiosity have climbed up and down the trees of only distantly related people, in more detail than I really needed to. But - isn't that just the way we are all wired up? Insatiable curiosity!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)