Author Topic: Sir Geoffrey???  (Read 691 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Sir Geoffrey???
« on: Sunday 19 March 17 07:34 GMT (UK) »

My great uncle has the letters CMG after his name and I have found reference to him in Google books and on Wikipedia, which don't call him a Sir,  but am no closer to confirming his title than I was when I saw it on his grave.

He served in Colonial Administrative Services in Nigeria and I think he was given the CMG for that, but does it make him a Sir??  (this former colonial has no idea how it all works ;D ;D)

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Geoffrey???
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 17 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Not sure either.  My interpretation would be that CMG by itself would not entitle the holder to be either "Sir" or "Dame".

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 17 07:51 GMT (UK) »

Is there a way that it can be checked to see whether he was Knighted (he has to be doesn't he to be a Sir??)
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 March 17 07:58 GMT (UK) »
I would think so.  If you let me have his name - e-mail or PM - I'll have another look.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 March 17 07:59 GMT (UK) »
If he was a Knight Commander of the Order of St Michael & St George, he would be called "Sir".

That's because, in those circumstances he would be a Knight.
Knights Grand Cross and Knights Commanders prefix "Sir", and Dames Grand Cross and Dames Commanders prefix "Dame", to their forenames. Wives of Knights may prefix "Lady" to their surnames, but no equivalent privilege exists for husbands of Dames. Such forms are not used by peers and princes, except when the names of the former are written out in their fullest forms. Furthermore, honorary (foreign) members and clergymen do not receive the accolade and thus are not entitled to use the prefix "Sir" or "Dame".
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 March 17 08:06 GMT (UK) »

So if I understand correctly the fact that he had CMG after his name would have made him a Sir?

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 March 17 08:21 GMT (UK) »
No, if he had KCMG it would
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 March 17 08:33 GMT (UK) »

Ah so he wasn't a Sir then.  I had thought as much when looking at the Wiki article, his name didn't appear with the KCMG but is further down on another list.  All very confusing for this former colonial. ;D

The confusion came in with the grave transcription, they have him as Sir Geoffrey, but looking closely at the grave stone I don't see any indication of it just CMG.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=5903553

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 March 17 08:42 GMT (UK) »
The order of St Michael and St George is explained in an episode of "Yes Minister"

Hacker: But hasn't Humphrey got enough decorations already?

Bernard: Well, naturally, he's got his G

Hacker: What's his G?

Bernard: You get your G after your K

Hacker: You speak in riddles, Bernard

Bernard: Oh thank you, Minister

Hacker: That wasn't a compliment!

Bernard: Well, take the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, for example. First you get your CMG - Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George. Then you get your KCMG - Knight Commander of St Michael and St George. Finally you get your GCMG - Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St Michael and St George. In the Service, of course, CMG stands for Call Me God, and KCMG stands for Kindly Call Me God.

Hacker (chuckling): I see. And what does GCMG stand for?

Bernard: God Calls Me God.

But to answer the question - no - a Companion of any order is NOT a knight.

Within the Civil Service there is actually a table of the "appropriate" honour to be awarded to any grade:

Administrative grades: MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire)
Grades 6 & 7: OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire)
SCS1: CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire)
SCS2: CB (Companion of the Order of the Bath)
SCS3: knighthoods

Quite appalling, really, when you think about it ... that the level of honour should be determined by the grade at which they are employed
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright