Author Topic: Am I really related to William the Conqueror??  (Read 12795 times)

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Am I really related to William the Conqueror??
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 14:37 BST (UK) »
Smudwhisk

Where did I say all Ardens were related.  I thought that Stanmapstone's comment on the name of Arden was interesting for those with the name of Arden.  I have no idea when lots of us have the same surname who is directly related to whom. 

I thought Stanmapstone's comment was interesting re the Ardens nothing more, nothing less and hope he still posts when he comes across something of interest to all of us amateurs.  Lookin2
Howlett, Brown, Woodroofe, Mills, Battey, Woods

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 17:07 BST (UK) »
not confirmable unless they were sufficiently well off to leave a paper trail.

Far more likely to be confirmable if they were sufficiently well off to leave a parchment trail ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 17:40 BST (UK) »

So they have a mid-19th century Huntingdonshire ag lab having children in Huntingdonshire, Manchester, Yorkshire, Sussex, London, and back to Huntingdonshire again ...

Errrrrr ... I think not!

Funnily enough, I have a mid-19th century Huntingdonshire ag lab who had moved to Yorkshire with his wife, had a few kids there, then moved back to Huntingdonshire in-between censuses!
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 30 March 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
A distant relative has our family line traced back via Ethelred the Unready to the Saxon Cerdic King-of-West (reigned 534-560 AD)  and on the other side Scottish kings back to Fergus MorMacErc, King of Scots d.501. It's all very convincing, and is traced back in a long line, but who knows?  (I'm feeling very superior to Danny Dyer already. ;D)  On my father's side, however, I seem to be descended from a long line of ag labs and cobblers.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 30 March 17 17:37 BST (UK) »
So: you too have a load of Cobblers in your ancestry? I literally have, but some trees seem to metaphorically have 'em, too, don't they?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 31 March 17 10:44 BST (UK) »
I was resisting the pun about cobblers, even though I felt that was what my relative's tree was! ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 31 March 17 11:49 BST (UK) »
When Dr Cameron's phone rang, Janet would lift the earpiece and answer "Arden House".
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 31 March 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
I have managed to get further back on some lines recently and found some prosperous ancestors in the 1600s. So a slightly bigger chance of Billy The Conq being a direct ancestor.  ;D
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Guyana

• RootsChat Member
  • How far back do you want to go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 31 March 17 18:02 BST (UK) »
So: you too have a load of Cobblers in your ancestry? I literally have, but some trees seem to metaphorically have 'em, too, don't they?
And you think you've got problems.  My family name derives from Cordwainer, which in fact a cobbler.
CORDEN - N.Staffs/N.Warwicks
MORGAN - Tamworth/Notts
HIGGS - N. Warwicks
DEEMING - N.Warwicks
LEWIS - N.Warwicks