Author Topic: Am I really related to William the Conqueror??  (Read 12799 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Am I really related to William the Conqueror??
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 01 April 17 10:59 BST (UK) »
Guyana
I have several generations of Huntingdonshire cordwainers, but the following generations had to find other work after the factories took over shoemaking.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Guyana

• RootsChat Member
  • How far back do you want to go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 01 April 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
Mine have mostly been in farming, at least since  the 1560s, although one or two went back into leather at times, and even into silk in a menial way.
CORDEN - N.Staffs/N.Warwicks
MORGAN - Tamworth/Notts
HIGGS - N. Warwicks
DEEMING - N.Warwicks
LEWIS - N.Warwicks

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 23 April 17 11:57 BST (UK) »
I can do one better, in that the Norwood surname part of my tree are rumoured to be descendants of Harold Godwinson.  I want my bloomin' throne back!!! ;D

In reality though even if it is true, proving it is going to prove to be a nightmare.  A number of medieval genealogies, even if you can connect to them, are as much about politics as they are accurate families lines - unless there are genuinely people out there who are descendants of Thor & Odin.
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 23 April 17 13:50 BST (UK) »
Before 1800 I have so many "possibles" in my family tree as the waters get very murky before census and BMD eras. That is why wills and poor law records are a great substitute to census records. Also witnesses on marriages from 1754 onwards.

My ancestor was Sarah Lee who wed Thos Standen in 1767 in Bolney, Sussex. The transcripts seem to omit the witnesses names so I will have to wait until I can view the original PR. I don't think people realise how vital the witnesses names are, providing they are not regular ones. Sarah died in 1768 aged 34 (noted on her headstone). So born c1733/1734. I have 2 possibles, one in Clayton in 1733 and one in Ditchling in 1734. The Ditchling one seems to descend from a local lord of the manor and back to Borde Hall in Cuckfield. So she may descend from Billy the Conq then.  ;D

A Mary Lee died in Bolney in 1767, a widow. Could be Sarah's mother. Both possible candidates for Sarah had mothers called Mary. It seems the mother of Sarah from Clayton died in 1737 as a Thomas and Mary Lee died close together, so the Ditchling one seems more likely. There is always a small chance there was a 3rd Sarah Lee born in the area.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 24 April 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
I can do one better, in that the Norwood surname part of my tree are rumoured to be descendants of Harold Godwinson.  I want my bloomin' throne back!!! ;D

Begging your pardon, but being a descendant of Harold Godwinson doesn't entitle you to the throne. It merely makes you, at best, king-worthy. An atheling. One of the candidates from whom the Witan are entitled to elect a king ...

There was no settled and established right of succession to the throne in Anglo-Saxon England.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 24 April 17 13:55 BST (UK) »
No wonder there was so much murder and mayhem, then. Too many wannabes.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 24 April 17 14:04 BST (UK) »
I've got a couple of copy wills from 17th and 18th century Huntingdonshire ancestors, one of which worth over £2 thousand left his eldest son the farmstead, the hovel (barn) and the lyon horse, etc to his oldest son with his daughter being left half a crown.  I had illusions of the family being of a lower order to a richer ancestor.  This week my illusion was shattered when I discovered their names taken from a list of bmd's in a book entitled "Commoners and Paupers"  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 29 April 17 14:12 BST (UK) »

Begging your pardon, but being a descendant of Harold Godwinson doesn't entitle you to the throne. It merely makes you, at best, king-worthy. An atheling. One of the candidates from whom the Witan are entitled to elect a king ...

There was no settled and established right of succession to the throne in Anglo-Saxon England.
Indeed.  Very much aware of this. A joke, my friend, a joke. :)
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline Guyana

• RootsChat Member
  • How far back do you want to go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 01 May 17 17:30 BST (UK) »
It ain't a joking matter, your Majesty.
CORDEN - N.Staffs/N.Warwicks
MORGAN - Tamworth/Notts
HIGGS - N. Warwicks
DEEMING - N.Warwicks
LEWIS - N.Warwicks