Author Topic: FTM Tree Sync ceasing from 29 March?  (Read 17497 times)

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FTM Tree Sync ceasing from 29 March?
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 00:08 BST (UK) »
Update still problems and the earliest we will get it is Friday and may be up to midweek next week. Still problems and i'm getting the impression it can't handle the traffic.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 00:25 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, that will mean a lot of unhappy people as Ancestry have turned off the syncing haven't they? Presumably that means that once Mackiev manage to turn it on there will be a lot of catching up to do.

Full details here. https://support.mackiev.com/498640-RELEASE-OF-FTM-2017
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 01:17 BST (UK) »
Not good. 

I would probably be more sympathetic if they hadn't insisted on payment up-front and without any adjustment for the different in exchange rates.   Having said that, I think I'll wait until the rush is over before I try out the new sync once it does eventually arrive.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 02:49 BST (UK) »
Woke up and decided to check emails and read the latest from you guys. Not good, not good at all. A few hours ago I got an email from my cousin in Australia before she went to work. In part she said, “We might be still doing this next week....checking our emails in hope.” Cynicism, no realism.

The way I read the latest post from MacKiev is the Ancestry servers can’t keep up the load. Ancestry always has had a problem at peak times like at weekend evenings. The service can run very slow and I have good internet speed of 150 Mbit/s.

What MacKiev is trying to do is push out a software package that is in alpha as I would certainly not even class it a beta.

This is the second company that I thought I would give some hope for the future. The other was Microsoft Win 10. FTM is all I run it it.

Better get back to bed getting too grumpy.
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline MagicMirror

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 09:21 BST (UK) »
without any adjustment for the different in exchange rates.   

My invoice said £24.99 +VAT. So they did adjust it. (I've no idea how the US side deals with sales taxes I think it varies by state).

I rarely use FTM so I'm beginning to wonder why I ordered it.  Actually I remember - it was the prospect of having to pay £79.99 if I suddenly decided I needed treesync.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 09:54 BST (UK) »
Well looks as if I get the same impression Robert Fletcher. It'll be interesting on Friday when I go the Wdytya live in brum. Bet there's a few familytree maker buyers who will not be happy bunnies! I guess they were really hoping to show it off at the show.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 10:00 BST (UK) »
They may still show it off at the show by using the test one. I certainly wouldn't want to be one of the people on that stand though having to face a few angry customers! Let's hope people remember it isn't their fault, they are just representatives.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert Fletcher

• RootsChat Veteran
  • And he's still just as cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 10:00 BST (UK) »
without any adjustment for the different in exchange rates.   

My invoice said £24.99 +VAT. So they did adjust it. (I've no idea how the US side deals with sales taxes I think it varies by state).

I rarely use FTM so I'm beginning to wonder why I ordered it.  Actually I remember - it was the prospect of having to pay £79.99 if I suddenly decided I needed treesync.
There is an agreement with many countries that companies with a certain number of transactions have to register and take out the tax of the receiving country for goods and services. However in the case of MacKiev they do have UK offices.
Remember when NewEgg started advertising. Many people, me included was impressed with prices until you got to checkout, VAT plus freight made local buying much cheaper.
Whats this to do with FTM-2017? Basically nothing as all just twiddling my thumbs waiting.
BELL - Nottingham
FISHER – Hinckley Leics
FLETCHER – Louth (District), Lincolnshire
HALLETT - Grimsby Lincs
MINKLEY - Notts & Leics

Offline Chapuys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
There is an agreement with many countries that companies with a certain number of transactions have to register and take out the tax of the receiving country for goods and services. However in the case of MacKiev they do have UK offices. ...

Not exactly. Since January 1st 2015, a 2003 EU directive started to be enforced strictly. Non-EU businesses are absolutely required to collect and pay VAT on digital goods sold to EU customers even if they are wholly based outside the EU. This closed the loophole that used to exist whereby VAT was charged based on the location a business is registered (so 0% for non-European businesses). Non-EU companies must now charge VAT based on the location of the customer.