Author Topic: Help Finding a Ship from Sri Lanka  (Read 1257 times)

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Finding a Ship from Sri Lanka
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Curious... as this was a troopship I'd expect her to be travelling with her husband on a posting. Very unlikely she'd be with her father on duty, but presumably her father was no longer serving by this time.
Of course Anthony's records with the services (if you're mistaken and he did serve) will still be with the MoD, so not much will show online.

Sudden thought which may be wrong - I wonder if troopships had separate manifests for service personnel and civilians?
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline amyjane5826

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 19:06 GMT (UK) »
That's why it's confused me, can I get hold of his records do you know?

Thank you so much for your help, even just batting ideas with someone else releases the stress   :)

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 19:10 GMT (UK) »
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/overview is how you get Service records. Need to be sure he's deceased - so perhaps some searching in the US records is needed. Lots of links for that on www.cyndislist.com and also familysearch.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 19:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to trace down ship departure date from Sri Lanka back to the UK the Ship is called "Empire Clyde"

i know this left liverpool to colombo on 19th July 1955 and I'm trying to find out when it went back.

any help or pointing in the right direction would be great.

Attached movements of EMPIRE CLYDE 1955. Although she came back from that voyage to Liverpool on 23/Sept/1955 I doubt very much your family would be on board.
They could have returned on any vessel at any time, or even have flown back. Keep digging.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 19:52 GMT (UK) »
According to the outbound passenger list they were intending to reside in Ceylon for more than 12 months.  You should not expect them to be doing a round trip on the same ship.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 23:18 GMT (UK) »
We forgot to say "Welcome to Rootschat", amyjane5826
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 March 17 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Ships never seemed to travel to Ceylon. The stopped there to let passengers disembark or embark. Depending on he nationality of the ship's registration a ship could go on to Australia or somewhere else or in my case the "Oranje" with me as a young boy stopped in Ceylon, then Malaya letting my mother and I off and continued to Batavia, Java, Netherland East Indies. "Oranje" was a Dutch registered ship.