Author Topic: Where is Hannah Bovis after her marriage with John Dumbrill 1738?  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Hannah Bovis after her marriage with John Dumbrill 1738?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 08:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again... :)

That is a great find and we now know John wasn't on the bones of his proverbial which is a good thing to know.   ;D

EDIT I wonder what "......with a good Right and Title to the Dicker." means???

By the time the Bovis clan arrived in Australia they had fallen on hard times. :'(

Westy

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 08:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again... :)

That is a great find and we now know John wasn't on the bones of his proverbial which is a good thing to know.   ;D

EDIT I wonder what "......with a good Right and Title to the Dicker." means???

By the time the Bovis clan arrived in Australia they had fallen on hard times. :'(

Westy

A "Dicker" is the seller or buyer so it proberly means that John held the title to the property which sounds like a small farm.
This part of Sussex is where a lot of my ancestors came from including my Grand mother, I have spent many hours driving around the lanes looking for clue's to my family history. There is one that still remanes unsolved and that is the burial place of my Great Grandfather. I know when and where but not the actual place. He committed suicide so although the burial service was in the local church he was proberly buried in unconsecrated ground and no one seems to know where that is.
Did the Bovis's go the Australia freely or were they convicts from England?

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 09:14 BST (UK) »
Fascinating and I am so glad the recognition now exists that a person who commits suicide deserves the same respect as others.

My 3 x great grandfather also committed suicide which is so very sad.  His family suffered tragically as a result of his death and the loss of his income.

As to the Bovis [well at least the line from which I descend] came 'freely' although it was possibly the best option for them as they were in the poor house [have forgotten the term at the moment as I'm having a seniors moment LoL  ;D :-[].  They were offered passage to Australia supposedly on the basis of their skills and came with about 20 or so other cousins of mine.

One of the Bovis descendants married a convict who was a repeat offender as he had been here before so possibly a man who saw no hope.  He was a soldier and a baker and it seems to me that when all wars were over and no income possible from that source, he returned to being a baker but ended up being sent down in Manchester for larceny of the person.

He left behind a wife and 2 young children whom to date I haven't located.  He married bigamously here in Australia. He was about 40 and his second wife was 18.  It is this second wife whose mother was a Bovis.

Westy