Author Topic: how do I prove my connections to the duke of sutherland .  (Read 1774 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: how do I prove my connections to the duke of sutherland .
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
larkspur these are not phantoms but my brickwalls, if I had had insight about this , premonition, I would have researched this more when I was in my twenties and the records were still available, the poorhouse records of st cuthbert's are now non-existent having been destroyed because 100 year + have floated by. I cannot help who my antecedents were, thats a fact of life  but it is finding the proof that is now going to be the problem if you look at the census for scotland colinton you will see that levison-gower lived there at least in 1871 census if not afterwards.levison- gower was the duke of sutherland.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
and yes my grandfathers' mother was ms brown aka marjory charles ferguson mcdonald barron brown poor soul then to marry a laidlaw on top the charles name came into play because her grandmother was margaret forbes, who was due to marry adam charles a weaver, he died in a tragic accident involving his weave machine the boom of which swung back and caught his head and killed him, so margaret forbes eventually married john hall. their daughter eventually married james hutcheonand had agnes who married robert brown
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
larkspur these are not phantoms but my brickwalls

larkspur was not suggesting everything was a fantasy.  The point is that some information on online trees cannot be correct (larkspur cited a person with a WW1 victory medal born 1911 - who would have been 7 when the war ended).

Information from online trees which is not supported by references to original documents, or where there is some query over dates or locations being for the same person, is not necessarily incorrect, but we cannot assume that it is proved to be correct.

I hope this clarifies matters.
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 March 17 01:21 BST (UK) »
larkspur these are not phantoms but my brickwalls

larkspur was not suggesting everything was a fantasy.  The point is that some information on online trees cannot be correct (larkspur cited a person with a WW1 victory medal born 1911 - who would have been 7 when the war ended).

Information from online trees which is not supported by references to original documents, or where there is some query over dates or locations being for the same person, is not necessarily incorrect, but we cannot assume that it is proved to be correct.I think the medal was john he served possibly in india as he taught my grandad some sayings which were  indian for porridge.I think that the medal was johns,  my grandad obtained the usual medals for the second ww just for being there nothing special he served in africa as well became unwellike a lot of soldiers did with di sentry and malaria

I hope this clarifies matters.
Philip
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 March 17 01:29 BST (UK) »
janet campbell's brother was not hugh i've now remembered, but archibald campbell their father was colin campbell chief of the clan.she was also sister to robyn campbell who married into the hamilton family.archie was interesting because he was a collector of plants and trees,which in later in life with his sons' encouragement, dug them all up and transported them all down to princess alexandras palace, which is now known as kew gardens.
 searl rogers sutherland