Author Topic: WW1 Medal Card - Which Medals?  (Read 2529 times)

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Medal Card - Which Medals?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 00:35 BST (UK) »
SC, this is one site where "I just don't like "to bother people" by asking for lookups etc and milking their kindness.  So I rarely ask for things" certainly doesn't apply! So ask away. :)

RRTB

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 09:26 BST (UK) »
You refer in an earlier post to WW2 being a mystery.  While it is true that there is no "look up list" (just under 3 million men and women by the end of the war would be some list!!) the task is not always impossible.

You refer also in your profile to looking for Sgt Bennett, presumably a WW2 man.  Despite what some web sites would have you believe, all post 1920 service records are still held by relevant branches of the MOD and can, subject to certain conditions, be applied for.  It does cost but is the only way to get such records and the amount of information to be supplied is relatively small.  The procedure is described here https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/overview.  Worth reviewing what you have and,as RRTB says, the very aim of Rootschat is to help folk with queries.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
.... still held by relevant branches of the MOD and can, subject to certain conditions, be applied for.

I did look into it and it got complex.  So I was waiting until 100 years after birth, another 3-4 years. 

From memory I think it was "100 years since birth - or after they're dead, which you have to prove".  Or you have to be next of kin/similar.

Trouble is - I wanted the information to find out WHEN he died, so I can't tell them when he died - and I am not the next of kin either.

:)

So they made it impossible for "A person to get the records of somebody who was born less than 100 years ago".

I just checked your link, overview says one of two instances:
1] They are YOUR records.  Well, they're not mine.
2] Records of somebody who is deceased - they do appear to have changed the wording now to be inclusive as they say "or you are researching them" - they didn't say that before I don't think

Then you think "oh I'm researching" and click through ... and it gets harder. I do have permission of "immediate next of kin", but would then need that in writing I guess, so another step.  I've just had the OK over the phone about a year ago. "Yeah, you can do it if you want, I won't bother".

You also need to know their full date of birth - that's one of the things I was hoping to get from the records.

All I have at the moment is: first/last name (no middle name exists to my knowledge, age 33 in early 1952. Father's first name (and last, presumably), but it's a common name.  Service number and base given as an address in 1952.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.