Author Topic: Birth Lookup - Robert BANKS 1811 Suffolk near Bury St Edmonds  (Read 1173 times)

Offline 999WOODBURN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Lookup - Robert BANKS 1811 Suffolk near Bury St Edmonds
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette,

Thank you so much.

Whilst it is likely that we will never know for sure, your reasoning makes a good deal of sense.

I spent many, many hours researching my wife's side of our family tree before turning my attention to mine and found that there were times when the balance of probability was all you could go on. We will never know for certain, but it is quite likely you are correct. Did Ester (Esther)raise Robert? He would have been 5 years old by the time she married John Frost. Quite possibly she did given her son John (b.1816) named one of his own children Robert presumably after his older half-brother. Interesting though he kept his mother's surname.

No, I only have the military researcher's report. The work was commissioned around 1992 or 1993 by Alan Banks, a cousin of my father. Alan is an old man now (91), but still quite sharp. Unfortunately he lives over the other side of the country from me, but I will make a point of visiting him again soon to see what he remembers and whether he has further details.

Thanks also for the information about what you are likely to find on the early military records. This sort of detail is invaluable to us amateurs - no point in going to  a lot of trouble chasing down records if they reveal nothing new.

Thanks again,
     Brendan

Offline 999WOODBURN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Lookup - Robert BANKS 1811 Suffolk near Bury St Edmonds
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 April 17 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hello People,

Back on this after a little break.

Referring to the researcher's report on Robert Banks military service, the information I have is exactly as follows:

"The muster volume WO12/9620 was likely to contain Robert's discharge from the army and it was checked for his name. This had been crossed through in red ink and annotated "Discharged 28th Feby" and Gra(tui)ty 6mo. ch(arge)d in G(eneral) S(tate)." A special page for men leaving said:

930 Private Robert Banks: Born Gt. Layham, Norfolk: Laborer: Date of Enlistment - 16 Octr 1833: Ditto (= Discharged) Launceston V.D. Land 1846.

The General State (= Paymaster's summary of payments) had: "Vo(ucher) 139 : 9-2-6 (Private) R. Banks".

This all means that Robert went on leave and arranged for a backdated discharge, sacrificing the possibility of an eventual pension for an immediate cash gratuity of 6 months pay amounting to 9 pounds 2 shillings and 6 pence.....

......There is no Great Layham in Norfolk and I suspect that he was born at the one in the adjoining county -  Suffolk. Army clerks were overworked and minor errors were frequent........ A Description Book would have confirmed the facts, but this has not survived.

Can anyone help me understand a little better what all this means and also advise if it possible to view any of the originals records the researcher would have consulted. Where would they be held? I am coming to the UK later this year and will have a few spare days to hunt around.

Many Thanks,
     Brendan