Author Topic: Family tree  (Read 568 times)

Offline silver12

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family tree
« on: Tuesday 04 April 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi can i do my family tree on here? cant see where i could start it if there is  :)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Family tree
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
There's no facility on here to set up a public tree like on sites like Ancestry. This is a discussion forum where information is provided to help people researching their family history.

Blue

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
No, this site is not intended for that. You need subscription  sites such as Ancestry or Findmypast. You can have a free tree on GenesReunited or Tribal  Pages, but to use all the facilities, again you would have to subscribe.

Others may come up with further suggestions.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline silver12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 17:52 BST (UK) »
Im wanting to restart my family tree i rushed mine so wanting to satrt afresh. Ancestry looks more complicted all the lay out im wanting something simple to use.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 18:13 BST (UK) »
You can use pen and paper. If you've got an old roll of wallpaper you're never going to use you could write on that.

Blue

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 15:25 BST (UK) »
I don't use a "tree" as such at all.

I have devised a structure for giving every ancestor a unique identified code, based upon the generation and their position in it in the list of ancestors of that generation, listed in a strictly methodical order.

My parents are Generation A, with A1 being the code for my father and A2 for my mother; then my grandparents are Generation B with B1 being my father's father, B2 my father's mother, B3 my mother's father, and B4 my mother's mother; Generation C is my great grandparents with C1 being my father's father. father, C2 my father's father's mother, C3 my father's mother's father ... and so forth. This can be extended backwards indefinitely.

Children are then identified by reference to the code for their father (or, if he is not my ancestor, their mother). So my father's father's father had eleven children, who are designated C1A to C1L (I omit the letter I) respectively. One of those designations (and it happened to be C1B) is my grandfather, who is also B1. I use B1 to designate him ... but he also occupies space C1B so I do not give that designation to one of his siblings. I the distinguish between my grandfather's older and younger siblings by using capital letters for the final letter of his older siblings (only C1A, in this instance) and lower case letters for his younger siblings (C1c - C1l).

I then write a narrative account of the life of each of my ancestors, footnoting all references etc.; and I keep a separate document just summarising all of the ancestors I have identified (in the strict order of their unique identifier codes, but obviously omitting the codes for those I have not yet identified) with just names, maiden names and aliases, and dates of birth and death.

It works for me ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright