Author Topic: Major Denis Bingham's son William birth information  (Read 52446 times)

Offline Kathleenmary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Major Denis Bingham's son William birth information
« Reply #306 on: Friday 02 August 19 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

Katherine was from the area I believe. My Ancestor married Katherine's sister Bridget. Unfortunately I believe the church burned down with all the records so dates are a bit hard to confirm. Katherine was very young maybe around 18 when they met...strange there were only two children William and Anne. I believe William was granted some of the Estate...

There are Geraghtys still around Bellmullet I think. I would like to now more about the sisters as well and have seen some info on the families on other sites...but nothing concrete. There have been may "Kittys" My ancestor Edward Kelly and Bridget had a few children...unlike the Geraghtys, the Kellys were not from that area as Edward travelled up with major Denis. I am not related to the other Kellys you mentioned. Cheers.

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 06:02 BST (UK) »
Hi KathleenMary
Thanks  … William did receive substantial property from Major Denis, most lost in government forced sales, there are two properties that still exist, one Doolough Lodge at Geesala currently restored and in extended family hands. William and his family members were mostly ignored as he was held as illegitimate by Anne's side of the family centred at Bingham castle near Binghamstown. I'll keep looking for the Geraghty sisters' background and confirmed information on weddings, births etc. My preliminary research hasn't found the sisters in Bellmullet but with your information I'll keep at it. Any info on William's birth may lead to finding the Geraghty clan.
Cheers til next time  … Bob

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: Sunday 01 September 19 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,

Noticed some of these later posts, all quite interesting. Never knew about an Edward Kelly who came to Belmullet with Denis, may be a distant connection. No way of knowing that right now though. Still no progress on finding out the fate of my Denis Bingham - or Denis Kelly. Possibly died in infancy. I have however found a photograph of Mary "Mariah" Kelly, who had that child with your Denis. She is ostensibly with another husband or partner, and it was taken in the 1950s. I spoke with relatives who met her and the husband, he was quite stand off-ish by most accounts, while she would take them in for tea. They lived in Fife before passing away. She came over around 1949, for the funeral of her sister Rose Shevlin, who died in October of that year. That's just some of what I've managed to ascertain from some of my relatives and from the records. Where do you think we could find a photo of Arthur Shane Bingham, or Denis Bingham? Would add to the records, and be interesting to see.

Cheers,

Anthony

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: Friday 06 September 19 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Almac
Attached is the only picture I have of Arthur Shaen Bingham, Denis was his son.
I haven't persued the Kelly link too far. I'm concentrating on Major Denis wife, grandmother of Arthur, a Geraghty I believe.
Till next time
Bob

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: Friday 06 September 19 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Amac
I did find a document on Denis Bingham Kelly's birth, witnessed by another Kelly, either older sister or mother.
I'll chase up a copy for you in the near future
Cheers
Bob

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: Sunday 08 September 19 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Bob,

Thank-you so much for that photograph. He would have known my great-grand uncle Anthony Kelly personally, and Mary "Mariah" Kelly too. It's hard to say what that relationship would have been. I'll pass this on to some relatives for them to see. If you ever find a picture of his son Denis, please do pass that on also! If you like I will send a photograph of Mary Kelly along also. It was taken when she was about 50-60 years old though.

Best Wishes,

Anthony

Offline Royrodgers45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: Friday 27 September 19 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone. Very Interested to see this photo.
My grandmother worked in the house in Doolough Lodge at Geesala as a maid around 1900 or so. Story is that she became pregnant by Arthur's son Dennis. My grandfathers birth was registered as Dennis Bingham. He later changed it to the family name of Gaughan.
The account is verifiable as the census in 1901 shows a Dennis Bingham infant being raised in my Gaughan families household in Geesala,  later in the next census he has changed his name to Dennis Gaughan. so it seems there might be more than one illegitimate child belonging to Arthur's son Dennis.
Dennis Bingham went on to live in Scotland and New York, USA. before returning to Dublin Ireland. Where we live now.

Offline Bob Queensland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: Monday 30 September 19 12:37 BST (UK) »
Wow, I had learnt of a Denis Bingham (Kelly) born to a servant Kelly's sister, now a Gaughan with another Denis Bingham infant. Denis seemed to have been a busy guy before he married Ursula in 1908.
I knew he looked after his sister Matilda's kids after she and husband died. A distant line still lives at the lodge and it looks beautiful in the pictures I received. I'll confirm the info and include it in my expanding family file. Thanks.
I hope to spend a few months in Ireland to retrace my roots in a year or so.

Offline Royrodgers45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: Monday 30 September 19 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob. Here are the census entries for the area. you can see in the 1901 census a 3 year old Denis Bingham child   living in the Gaughan household. In the later census he is entered as a 14 year old Denis Gaughan.  My mother (his daughter) told me that he decided to change it back himself. You can see that it is the Same household. Hope this is of some assistance. we went down some years ago and met with a next door neighbor of my family who would have been alive when he was a child. she confirmed the story and told us that there were more than one illegitimate child in the area linked to the Bingham family.
My great grand mother left my grandfather behind and went to live in New York. My mother met her as a young child when she went to live there in the 1920's. The family stayed in New York for a number of years but eventual came back to live in Dublin.