Author Topic: Gordon Blair - Mystery? or Not!  (Read 34563 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Blair - Mystery? or Not!
« Reply #225 on: Saturday 15 April 17 10:00 BST (UK) »
If we are to believe all the evidence then both Gordon and his mother Jane had the same parents - John Blair, Hotelkeeper and Jane Dun. This information appears on both the death certificate of Jane in 1882 and that of Gordon in 1900. They can't both be right! There is very strong evidence that Gordon's father was William, not John. His mother Jane's death certificate says she was married to William Blair and the information on the shipping list for the William Miles in 1855 gives William and Jane as the names of the parents of both Jane Kippen and Elizabeth Aitken, sisters to Gordon.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Saturday 15 April 17 14:59 BST (UK) »
I'm going round in circles with Blair births...keeping in mind the names Jean, Jane and Janet are interchangeable in Scotland and that St Ninians and Glasgow feature in this story.

In 1800 a Jean Blair is born to a John Blair and a Jean Dunn in Glasgow
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jx6/

In 1810 a Jean Blair is born to a John Blair and a Jean Dunn in St Ninians
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jx5/

If the ages of Jean 20, Elizabeth 19 and Gordon 15 are correct on the 1841 census then the Jean born in St Ninians is too young to be Jean's mother which would imply that the one born in Glasgow is the mother. So were there two couples with the same names having children ten years apart?
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Saturday 15 April 17 15:32 BST (UK) »
The 1800 one is a birth and 1810 one is a baptism, so could be the same person.
Isobel

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Saturday 15 April 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
I've had a look at the 1800 Glasgow birth and the 1810 St Ninians baptism for Jean Blair. 1800 provides the information that John Blair's occupation was Change keeper, whatever that was and the witnesses were John Ferguson and Hugh Cameron. 1810 baptism was witnessed by the congregation but place of residence of John and Jean is given as Glasgow. I think this may well be the same child in both records.
Isobel

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Saturday 15 April 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
If we go back to Reply #207

Although there are some discrepancies, has anyone else noticed that the 'dot' for the 'i' is above the 'r' on both?

It may not seem significant but I would say it is  ;)

Annie

Added

I also think the 'd' in Gordon looks to be a capital 'D' as the loop/circle of a small 'd' hasn't been filled in?
I have filled in the bit I mean in red  ::)
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Saturday 15 April 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
According to Mr Google a Change Keeper is someone who is in charge of an inn.
Isobel

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Sunday 16 April 17 02:54 BST (UK) »
If someone is a Solicitor's clerk in Scotland in 1850, then is that similar to an Articled Clerk - ie someone working towards becoming a Solicitor?   Would they progress by 1860 to have become a solicitor?   

Both the 1863 and 1864 Qld birth registrations have Gordon BLAIR as a Clerk, no mention of Solicitor's clerk. 

From the 1900 Qld death for Gordon, his youngest child is the informant, yet Gordon's older son was still alive, and so too was Gordon's widow.     Perhaps James William BLAIR was the prominent son.     

James William BLAIR, as a legal eagle (as barrister) should have been well trained and experienced in noticing discrepancies in information/evidence, yet it was James William who gave that Gordon was married at age 24 to Julia, in Queensland, and at same time that Gordon was (in August 1900) aged 66 years, 11 months and 4 days.   Those two pieces of information conflict.   If we accept that Gordon was born 1833, then he turned 24 in 1857, and he was not yet in Queensland, as James William also gives that Gordon was 40 years in Queensland... And then there's the umm.... err... significant .....  error Isobelw found too   :D

If we are to believe all the evidence then both Gordon and his mother Jane had the same parents - John Blair, Hotelkeeper and Jane Dun. This information appears on both the death certificate of Jane in 1882 and that of Gordon in 1900. They can't both be right! There is very strong evidence that Gordon's father was William, not John. His mother Jane's death certificate says she was married to William Blair and the information on the shipping list for the William Miles in 1855 gives William and Jane as the names of the parents of both Jane Kippen and Elizabeth Aitken, sisters to Gordon.
Isobel

To me, James William's info on Gordon's death cert is based on James William's interpretation of the 1876 marriage certificate (not the registration, but the document handed to the bride at the ceremony) which may have been 'doctored' by others to show a different year for that marriage, or as mentioned in earlier reply, the 24 years may represent the number of years 'ago' that the couple married (1900 less 24 equals 1876).

I still cannot see a solid line joining Gordon in Qld back to Jane Norval in Scotland.     I attach a snip from the Glasgow Herald, 11 July 1856  and wonder how the newspaper learnt of the birth, just the day previous, of this baby.... did someone take the info to the newspaper offices?  Who were they seeking to inform?   Is there any significance to the wording, in particular to the baby's mum being "Mrs Gordon Blair" when the baptism shows James Gordon Blair.   Anyways, there's a residential address for Jane Norval in the cutting.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F79D-72Y

Australians can obtain (no charge) readers cards for the National Library of Australia.  These have 'e-resources' including access from home computers to such electronic resources as the Gale Newspapers  :D
http://www.nla.gov.au/app/eresources/browse/143

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Sunday 16 April 17 06:54 BST (UK) »
I've just spent many hours searching through Glasgow Directories from 1852-1858 the period just after Gordon's marriage to Janet and through to their last child's birth.

All of the birth places listed are essentially in the same area but Gordon & Janet Blair aren't listed as such in those area's at all or anywhere nearby even. 18 Clyde St., is listed on 2 births and at that address in 1855-56 living there is a John Mitchell Merchant & shipowner, John Mitchell jnr Merchant, John Mitchell jnr Ottoman & Portuguese Vice Consul.

A 'John Blair' is there at 55 Clyde Place Tradeston and Tradeston is where 2 other births are listed and he is a Wine & Spirit Merchant and from at least 1852-58 that I found. Is he related to Gordon? and was Gordon living there? In 1851 on the Census Gordon was at 18 Clyde St. as a Solicitor's clerk. What was 18 Clyde St.? A solicitor's Office and or a Portuguese Consul address?

I found 4 Wellcroft Place on an old map and it's close by a few blocks. So they lived there as well.
The only Blair listed in that area was a Mrs. Blair at 18 Russell St., is that where Jane and Gordon lived? why not is it listed as Gordon and or Jane Blair if it is.?

Weird to me and I wonder why? Everytime I needed to find someone in the Scottish directories I have found them. Why not the Blairs. They are certainly well hidden.

Ewing, McKinnon, Sproul, Sanderson, Douglas, Quince, Lyell, Sharp.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Sunday 16 April 17 09:06 BST (UK) »
Barrister=we don't have barristers in Scotland.
Solicitor's Clerk, a solicitor then was a Writer, whose clerk might have aspirations? but he was a clerk.
Change House is indeed an inn.
To be admitted to any of the trade incorporations in Glasgow your man would first have to apply for a Burgess'Ticket (still the case) Probably the Merchant's House would have been the same.

Skoosh.