Author Topic: Gordon Blair - Mystery? or Not!  (Read 34452 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon Blair - Mystery? or Not!
« Reply #396 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 02:40 BST (UK) »
I do wonder about Georgina's name. Georgina being the feminine of George and Lorimer.
Is there something in this naming?

We seem not to have come across a George or a Lorimer in our searches so far.

Sue

I did wonder about that too!

A very strange combination indeed, makes one wonder  ???

In 'normal' terms this would indicate the father being a George Lorimer or at least an incline towards a George....intriguing for sure.

I wonder if there was ever any application for Parish Relief for any of the children born prior to the 1850 marriage?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 02:44 BST (UK) »
I have been away and the Blair hive has been exceptionally busy and much appreciated.
Some amazing people out there with great information. Thanks again.

JM I contacted that Ancestry person on the 4th April before posting here ... no reply as yet
so unlikely.

No word back from the 2 churches I contacted as yet either. I don't want to push them too
hard but I may ring down the track at some stage as I think they may have a few hidden gems.

I was contacted by that lady's daughter the other day through the usual way and she wanted
to know whatever happened to her Grandmother's brother who was gassed in France in WW1
and came home very sick and was looked after always at home.

Well I did some digging with an extraordinary result.
He never went to WW1.  ??? :o
He joined the army to go and was medically fit but needed some dental work was all.
After a little over a months training here, he just walked out. First thing I noticed was in large
writing on his record he was marked a DESERTER. A warrant was issued for his arrest.

A bit more paperwork and evidence in his record of leaving AWOL but no record of his penalty.

More evidence of stories to protect people and for young ears not to find out.
Every family usually have them one way or the other. Family secrets.
'Don't say anything to the children their too young'. Correct.

One of my favourite of many favorite Uncle's I found out was actually my Cousin.  :o
Quite a shock when I found out when doing the Ancestry. Then found out how it came
about ... All good. He'll always be my Uncle.

Ewing, McKinnon, Sproul, Sanderson, Douglas, Quince, Lyell, Sharp.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 03:07 BST (UK) »
No word back from the 2 churches I contacted as yet either. I don't want to push them too
hard but I may ring down the track at some stage as I think they may have a few hidden gems.

I was contacted by that lady's daughter the other day through the usual way and she wanted
to know whatever happened to her Grandmother's brother who was gassed in France in WW1
and came home very sick and was looked after always at home.

Well I did some digging with an extraordinary result.
He never went to WW1.  ??? :o
He joined the army to go and was medically fit but needed some dental work was all.
After a little over a months training here, he just walked out. First thing I noticed was in large
writing on his record he was marked a DESERTER. A warrant was issued for his arrest.

A bit more paperwork and evidence in his record of leaving AWOL but no record of his penalty.

The Churches can often take weeks as the request is usually handled by a volunteer.

You mention Isabella had a brother who went AWOL after a month's training after enlisting in AIF in WWI .... I am further fascinated .... as I thought Henry Gordon BLAIR's sons were born 1908 and 1915 - too young for WWI....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline OZScot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 03:10 BST (UK) »
Isabella's mother JM
Ewing, McKinnon, Sproul, Sanderson, Douglas, Quince, Lyell, Sharp.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 03:14 BST (UK) »
Agh  thanks, so Henry Gordon BLAIR's brother in law.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 03:29 BST (UK) »
Reply #206 for snip from Isabella's bc.   :)

JM

In my opinion the signature on the rescan of 1855 & your snip on reply #206 are a definite match!

On the 1855 rescan, the writing below 'GorDon Blair' Father looks like ? Montieth Street, ?????

I can't make out the number or the area.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 03:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie  :)  :)  :)   I think they are both from same hand too.

Hopefully shows the benefit of seeking out clear primary sources, many thanks to Isobelw for that re-scan.  Team Work  :) 

JM

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 04:04 BST (UK) »
So JM,

Although the signature is a match I do wonder as to the place of birth being Thistle St. (Street), Glasgow (which it looks like) & the fact that the father 'GorDon' is at a different abode.

I don't know what info. is recorded 'as in' who was present at the birth etc. or who lived at Thistle Street but does make me wonder if they were already separated at that time?

Annie

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 07:40 BST (UK) »
So JM,

Although the signature is a match I do wonder as to the place of birth being Thistle St. (Street), Glasgow (which it looks like) & the fact that the father 'GorDon' is at a different abode.

I don't know what info. is recorded 'as in' who was present at the birth etc. or who lived at Thistle Street but does make me wonder if they were already separated at that time?

Annie

Hi Annie and JM,

I agree that the distinctive D in Gordon on both documents looks like the same hand has signed them.

Annie, I don't think that is a different address for Gordon. I believe that below his signature it reads A Monteith Clerk Witnefs ?......

Lobby :)