Author Topic: Catholics pretending to be Protestants in Ireland?  (Read 5156 times)

Offline Dannyboy20

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catholics pretending to be Protestants in Ireland?
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 02 October 22 17:03 BST (UK) »
Thankyou very much. I think that's him as On the marriage certificate to my gt grandmother his father is listed as John Long. I think I will apply for a birth certificate for my grandmother and go from there

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 02 October 22 17:05 BST (UK) »
Then you can work back. That’s good.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dannyboy20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 01:02 BST (UK) »
I'm beginning to believe my great grandmother Mary converted from her Catholic religion to marry my great grandfather John Joseph...who was a member of the Church of Ireland religion...her fathers name was name was Patrick, could she have lied about his name,  saying Stephen as if she said her father's real name, an instantly recognisable Catholic name, they would have raised an eyebrow in that church they were married in? This was 1925 after all

Offline Dannyboy20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 01:10 BST (UK) »
I could be absolutely wrong but I am just assuming, trying to make sense of it.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 07:01 BST (UK) »
If she converted to be a member of the CoI church there is absolutely no reason to alter the marriage certificate.  Perhaps her father was baptised Stephen but called Patrick...often happened if the child, say, grew up resembling an ancestor called Patrick.  My family is CoI & Presbyterian and we have a Bridget in our family baptised in 1899, also considered by some to be a 'Catholic' name. 

I think perhaps some more sleuthing is needed on the names etc of these ancestors of yours

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 19:22 BST (UK) »
I'm beginning to believe my great grandmother Mary converted from her Catholic religion to marry my great grandfather John Joseph...who was a member of the Church of Ireland religion...her fathers name was name was Patrick, could she have lied about his name,  saying Stephen as if she said her father's real name, an instantly recognisable Catholic name, they would have raised an eyebrow in that church they were married in? This was 1925 after all

I don't buy that scenario.

Did the Church of Ireland require both parties to a marriage to be baptised members of C. of I in 1925? Current regulation is that at least 1 party "shall have been baptised and is a member of C. of I. or of a Church in full communion therewith, unless in exceptional circumstances, the bishop shall determine otherwise." I assume it was the same in 1925.
What evidence do you have that your great-grandfather was C of I.?
Are you certain that the marriage in Dublin in 1925 was that of your great-grandparents?
https://www.irish-geneaography.com/hunting-for-irish-marriages.html

You said previously that the story in your family was that a Catholic priest refused to marry them. That seems more plausible if only one of them was R.C.
The Catholic Church became stricter about marriage in the early decades of 20th century. "Ne temere" decree on marriage (1907, effective from Easter 1908)) required marriages involving a Catholic to take place in the bride's parish, in the presence of a Catholic priest and that the marriages be recorded in the place/places where the contracting parties were baptised. The Code of Canon Law was set out and published by the Catholic Church in 1917.
A wedding of a Catholic and someone who wasn't Catholic in a Catholic church would require a dispensation. The priest had to be confident that the Catholic spouse would still be able to practise their faith and that children of the marriage would be brought up in the faith. The non-Catholic party had to agree to those requirements if the marriage was to happen in a Catholic church.
Cowban

Offline Dannyboy20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 22:53 BST (UK) »
Yes it is definitely them...my grandmother was Grace Frances, she also has a sister called Eileen Frances, and a brother called John Joseph, to me it's too much of a coincidence. I think all of this is being complicated by that family story. I will definitely order a copy of my grandmother's birth certificate, but from Ancestry, all of my nans siblings have McIntyre listed as the Maiden name of the mother.

Offline Dannyboy20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 23:01 BST (UK) »
Also on John Joseph's death cert, it says "Knockanree Avoca" that is where my grandmother was from.