Author Topic: Joseph Rogers of Bocking (st Mary's)  (Read 3135 times)

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Rogers of Bocking (st Mary's)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 April 17 20:46 BST (UK) »
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar/GetImgSrc?filePath=%2F1880%2FR%2F004419_rogers_1880.Png

Died 24 Jan 1880 - Eleanor Rogers late of Bocking personal estate under 12,000. Sole executor George Arthur Rooks of 12 Bloomsbury Square Middlesex (gentleman)

G. A.  Rooks he is a solicitor in 1881.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#calendar

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 April 17 20:50 BST (UK) »
Sarah Susanna Wakeham died Bocking 27 July 1863. Effects under £30,000. Will with codicils proved by Charles Ody Rooks gentleman of Woodland Terrace, Stoke Newington, Henry Jackson, gentleman, Braintree and John Jackson, gentleman, of Foreham All Saints nr Bury St Edmonds the executors

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 April 17 21:13 BST (UK) »
all three gentlemen appear to be solicitors, so may be chosen for their profession rather than any family connections.  Henry and John Jackson may be brothers - both born Great Easton 1795-1800. Henry lives in Bocking End in 1861. Charles is based in London- he is the father of George Arthur, Eleanor's executor

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Charles Bocking Rogers & sons, Hendon1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 April 17 17:27 BST (UK) »
dear all,
thank you so very much for all this wonderful information  ::) I would be very interested to find out when and where Joseph Rogers was born and whom his parents where ? I cannot place him in my tree as unfortunately I only have a basic tree with me  ???
I visited Bocking and Braintree yesterday and managed to stop at many other smaller villages to visit the beautiful churches there and discovered an unknown ancestors gravestone at Earls Colne which I am very excited about  ;D 
best wishes
Pete
Sudbury Suffolk, Bocking/Braintree Essex, Hendon/Bethnal green Middx.

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Marriage joseph Rogers and Susanna (unknown(
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 April 17 22:34 BST (UK) »
dear all
as a result of my recent visit to St. Mary's at Bocking, Essex, I came across a tomb to the three daughters of a Joseph Rogers and Susannah (unknown). Their daughters names being ;
Sarah Susanna Rogers died 27-07-18??. Wife/widow of Rev. Charles Wakeham, rev of Wakeham c1782, died Bocking, Essex, 28-03-1822, aged 61
Eleanor Rogers bap 26-08-1787, st. John the Baptist, Pinner, Middlesex. died 21-01-1880, Pinner, Middx and buried Bocking.
Caroline Rogers died 21-09-1851, buried St.Mary's, Bocking, Essex.

A friend of mine did a search on Ancestry and it seems that nobody is researching this family and I would be very grateful if anyone could discover the marriage of Joseph and Susannah. I believe that they where in the Pinner area as Eleanor was baptised there. Hopefully they also married in this area  ??? I have since been informed that all three daughters died at Pinner and where buried at Bocking, Essex through some kind of trust fund.

I would be very appreciative for any help with this question and hope that the marriage of the parents may help with expanding this forgotten Family and obscure grave/tomb which has managed to survive with its inscription still intact and readable .....
Kind Regards
Pete Rogers

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage joseph Rogers and Susanna (unknown(
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 April 17 22:54 BST (UK) »
Connected post here with info re: family

Posts merged.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 April 17 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks Carole for additional family info from link

There are a couple of marriages, one in London at St Laurence Jewry " Joseph Rogers Esq. of St Dunstans widower mar Susannah Ingram of the parish of St Mary Magdalen Milk Street on the 3 October 1784 by licence.

And one in Canterbury : Joseph Rogers married Susannnah Burgess after Banns 15th April 1779

Have you tried searching for a Will, which may give further clues ?
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 April 17 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It would appear that Caroline Rogers died in 1854 & not 1851. This from FreeBMD & GRO index:

Rogers, Caroline; Age 65; Sept Qtr 1854; Braintree Reg Dist; Vol 4a Page 254.

This therefore suggests a year of birth as 1788/89.

Sarah Susanna Wakeham nee' Rogers death was in the same registration district aged 77 in 1863.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline petey22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 15 April 17 15:03 BST (UK) »
again thanks to all for this information,,,,,
Caroline 1854 and not 51, thanks, I looked at the photo I took and although it does still look like a 1 it is weathered. There was also a large grey slab (broken) on top of the tomb with lots of text that I couldn't read although I could just about pick out at the name Rogers twice, I should have gone back and taken a rubbing  :P maybe there will be a record of this inscription somewhere ?
I was very interested to read about the Trust for the upkeep of the tomb (and window ? didn't see that !!!) which was closed off in 2000, which is a shame as it will now gradually become dilapidated.
The probate search link is great, I didn't know of this site and indeed a will may be of some help  ;D
Two possible marriages,, I guess the only way to find out is to order them both and hope for more clues ,,,,, ::)
again Thanks to all.