Author Topic: Who would benefit from these war books/photos  (Read 2954 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Who would benefit from these war books/photos
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 23:40 BST (UK) »
Yes - I thought they looked good starting points so thank you Josey for the links.  I will be contacting them on her behalf after I have seen the albums myself and am in a better position to describe the contents. 

As far as is known - the bulk are of English War Memorials but she isn't sure whether there may also be a smattering of Scottish ones
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 April 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
Looks as if that first group Josey suggested might be a good place to start. If they aren't interested they may know an organisation that would be.

Hi, I agree with groom, they look very good.

Frank  :)
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 April 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your interest and suggestions - very much appreciated.  I will post again when we have a "result" to let you know how we go on
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 April 17 21:10 BST (UK) »
...  the first offer may not necessarily be the best.

... I would suggest that ideally they should be passed to ... archives where they will be accessible to the maximum number of people, rather than kept in private hands.

It might be worth contacting the Imperial War Museum ...

We are finding that some War Memorials are now lost, vandalised, stolen, or damaged.

A building or chapel closes, is demolished, set on fire, or is refurbished/converted, sometimes without any regard for those who died for their country, or names contained on any Memorial within and for that matter headstones outside.

I enquired about the paperwork that I felt the CWGC should hold, after reading our family's correspondence with their predecessor the IWGC and it seems they have disposed of much information. The MoD say they only keep about 5% of the records that were originally created. Which suggests to me that neither of them, would be the best.

The County Record Office will often take photographic collections, but don't sign any part of a form (or strike it through) that authorises them to sell, dispose, or destroy part, or all of the accession.

I'm afraid I don't have much time for some official organisations.

The Ordnance Survey Archaeological section and their Archaeologists produced a Card Index of ancient monuments and deserted medieval village (DMV) sites, which I understand went to the Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments and then English Heritage.

A villager says that our local DMV was investigated, but when I enquired, I was told there were no archaeological index cards, when I pressed the matter further, I was told that part of the original OS Archaeological Card Index is now missing.

Mark