Author Topic: Liverpool map c.1800 to c.1850  (Read 3762 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool map c.1800 to c.1850
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 April 17 15:11 BST (UK) »
I tend to agree Blue. A quick look at that 1824 map, (even without knowing the exact locations of many of the streets) and I've spotted a few from Ian's list.

Ian, presumably you have located all of your addresses on old maps?

Offline Fleetz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 April 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks folks for the input and suggestions.

I suspect if a map like this was a high res digital image that could be cropped out a high res print that could be scanned and then cropped it could do the business.

Just scaling it on my iPad at the moment it appears not to be a linear scaled map rather a series of maps scaled which allows you to go from one size to the next which is fine for viewing on electronic devices and PC's

I realise there is a fair amount of detail required even to display the relatively small area these streets occupy which is why I was going to an A3 size and folding it down to A4 which is what I will be printing the remainder of the family history in.

If I could get the 1824 in a high res format it would be prefect. I could crop the image to accomodate the A3 format, maintain the resolution to clearly see the streets and in photoshop add some names of streets which appear not to be displayed like Matthew St for example. Also add the names of the churches which all don't appear on that particular map, the locations are shown however.

It would appear that the family having most likely started occupying and possibly owning some of that property which some of which got handed down to the next generation our tribe doesn't appear to have had to spread to far away from St Nicholas and St Peter in their times there. So that does focus the area which makes it easier.

I will play around with the print screen idea tomorrow on the PC, print screen is however not likely to scale to well as it will pixelate when scaling as it is not a vector based scalable format, as would be the case in a high res JPEG format for example.

Cheers,

Ian

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 April 17 23:26 BST (UK) »
Good luck with it Ian.

You could try using a later map (like the NLS maps) which will probably have all the streets named, but I do understand that there would be a lot more development in the city and it is nice to be able to see the street layouts more or less as your ancestors knew them.

If the relatives you intend to show this to are not familiar with Liverpool it might not mean as much to them anyway, so some additional development in the city might not be important.

Although it is later the map Stan linked to early in the thread is also good and names the churches. You might be able to do something with that one.  :)

Offline Fleetz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 April 17 23:36 BST (UK) »
Good luck with it Ian.

You could try using a later map (like the NLS maps) which will probably have all the streets named, but I do understand that there would be a lot more development in the city and it is nice to be able to see the street layouts more or less as your ancestors knew them.

If the relatives you intend to show this to are not familiar with Liverpool it might not mean as much to them anyway, so some additional development in the city might not be important.

Although it is later the map Stan linked to early in the thread is also good and names the churches. You might be able to do something with that one.  :)

Thanks again.

I think this map would be fine if I can buy a reasonable resolution hard copy or get a digital scanned image.

I agree with you about the detail, would rather have an older map with less detail but more relavent of the times than one that has more that wasn't relavent for the times.

The date 1824 is excellent and relavent for the hundred or so years before and the 25 odd that come after up until the relivatives emigrated.

So locating the 1824 is now the quest.....ideally in good resolution digital but if I have to cop a postage charge on a print then so be it.

Will see if I can locate where to buy.....any ideas greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ian