Author Topic: Liverpool map c.1800 to c.1850  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Fleetz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool map c.1800 to c.1850
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 April 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
I don't print out large maps of Liverpool as you can't see enough of the detail on an A4 or A3 piece of paper. I only ever use images showing particular areas or particular streets and print them on A4 to fit my Lever Arch file.

Blue

Cheers Blue....may well be what I have to do. As I said earlier I am seeking the holy grail of Liverpool maps. There is an ideal world and then the real world.

Ian

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 April 17 23:23 BST (UK) »
ian, the Cole 1801 Liverpool street plan in Genmaps, which I provided a link to might fit the bill as it shows quite a lot of detail. It may be able to be "stitched together" to make your A3 sheet. I have my doubts that using the image from the online map would be do-able or high enough quality, but some googling might lead you to a supplier which has, or can reproduce it.

I think rather than a map it seems that you are looking for a town plan? Changing your search terms may locate something.

Have you tried contacting a Liverpool history group, library or archives who may know of a source of old street plans?

Offline Fleetz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 00:32 BST (UK) »
ian, the Cole 1801 Liverpool street plan in Genmaps, which I provided a link to might fit the bill as it shows quite a lot of detail. It may be able to be "stitched together" to make your A3 sheet. I have my doubts that using the image from the online map would be do-able or high enough quality, but some googling might lead you to a supplier which has, or can reproduce it.

I think rather than a map it seems that you are looking for a town plan? Changing your search terms may locate something.

Have you tried contacting a Liverpool history group, library or archives who may know of a source of old street plans?

Hi Ruskin,

Thanks for your patience with me. Yes I looked at all the Liverpool maps in the links you provided and the 1801 did hit what I was after but it was only a viewable map in 4 quadrants.

Your right my language of map verses a town plan is absolutely spot on. A map gets you to Liverpool a town plan lets you navigate the streets. It's the later I am after so I will modify my search criteria.

Your Liverpool history group is a wonderful idea! In my ancestor searching over here in Australia local historical societies and museum have been wonderfully helpful in looking you family history. Why I never thought of that must be put down to a brain fade.  ???

I am happy to source a map and (the Coles 1801 looks good) at whatever size with the required detail and have an appropriate print shop over here deal with scanning and converting to a size that works.

Thanks you have opened up some avenues that looked to be closing.

Glad I have found this forum....great members!

Regards,

Ian

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 08:57 BST (UK) »
can you give us the dock area - ie Canada Dock - Alexander Dock - Wapping - Brunswick Dock ??
if you know it ...I would have thought the dock and streets would not have changed between 1800 and 1900 ..
I live in Garston - Stalbridge Dock - this is the very last dock going South in Liverpool ...if you have addresses /names etc I will see lads who were dockers in our pub The Mariners .  a wealth of info about dock areas as you can imagine  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Fleetz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 09:28 BST (UK) »
can you give us the dock area - ie Canada Dock - Alexander Dock - Wapping - Brunswick Dock ??
if you know it ...I would have thought the dock and streets would not have changed between 1800 and 1900 ..
I live in Garston - Stalbridge Dock - this is the very last dock going South in Liverpool ...if you have addresses /names etc I will see lads who were dockers in our pub The Mariners .  a wealth of info about dock areas as you can imagine  :)

Cheers....I will get a list of streets and the main churches together. Good idea it better ranges the town plan that is actually of interest which hopefully will scope out more focused map options.

Happy to look out to 1900 or more if the streets didn't change too much.

Of course it gives you a legitimate reason to have a few jars with the lads! 😀

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 09:48 BST (UK) »
www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk   
 A to Z
street maps
1901 taken - but as I say I would have thought some of the dock areas never changed over 100 yrs 1800 - 1900Canada Dock and Alexander Dock BOTH had railway lines that went down across the Dock Road and the trucks went right next to the ships - these 2 dock areas never changed and Stevedores (dockers ) and Railway workers lived in houses owned by the Railway and Mersey Dock and Harbour Board ...so you may be lucky ....I hope so  ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Fleetz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 10:53 BST (UK) »
www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk   
 A to Z
street maps
1901 taken - but as I say I would have thought some of the dock areas never changed over 100 yrs 1800 - 1900Canada Dock and Alexander Dock BOTH had railway lines that went down across the Dock Road and the trucks went right next to the ships - these 2 dock areas never changed and Stevedores (dockers ) and Railway workers lived in houses owned by the Railway and Mersey Dock and Harbour Board ...so you may be lucky ....I hope so  ;)

I probably mentioned the docks more because it was close to St Nicholas where a lot of my relatives were baptised, married and buried. Thought it most likely maps working back from the docks more likely to be common than starting at St Nicholas.

Offline Fleetz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 April 17 01:52 BST (UK) »

Cheers....I will get a list of streets and the main churches together. Good idea it better ranges the town plan that is actually of interest which hopefully will scope out more focused map options.

Happy to look out to 1900 or more if the streets didn't change too much.

Of course it gives you a legitimate reason to have a few jars with the lads! 😀

Caught up with the lads yet! 😀

The churches of interest are St Nicholas and St Peter over 95% of events with our ancestors were conducted there. Christs Church, Hunter St and St George Churches had a few events but are not significant in the scheme of things.

The streets that played significant roles from parish registers and or bishops transcripts are as follows.
Hacking Hey
Pressons Row
Castle St
Queen St
Old Hall St
King St
Dale St
Moorfields
Moor St
Dale St
Harrington St
Vernon St
Mathew St
Old Scotland Road

Given the history that these came from was c1650 to C.1800 where the population was not huge it appear the streets seem relatively close by to the churches, in particular St Nicholas and St Peter.

So a town plan map showing the above would be like finding the holy grail of maps. Either in a detailed printed format or a high resolution digital format.

Any assistance in zeroing in what might encompass the above mentioned would be great.

Regards,

Ian

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 April 17 14:10 BST (UK) »
Can't you somehow adapt one of the maps we've provided links for using Print Screen? I would use this one:-

http://liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/liverpool_1824/

Blue