Author Topic: The British South Africa Company Medal Roll - Free lookups offered  (Read 59766 times)

Offline sjhedger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The British South Africa Company Medal Roll - Free lookups offered
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 30 May 09 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I have only just come across your post regarding look-ups in respect to the SA Medal (1879).  Can you see what information you have on PTE 3519 Arthur Hedger.  

I have his military records from the National Archives and they state that he received the SA Medal 1879 with clasp. 

Many thank

Simon Hedger
Hedger (Elstead - Surrey), Rungay Norfolk & Nottinghamshire), Clark Hampshire/Surrey), Mason (Wandsworth), Lawrence (surrey), Cooper (Hindhead - Surrey), Poore, Wisdom (Surrey), Burgess (Wiltshire)

Offline slaw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 30 May 09 12:26 BST (UK) »
Is it to late to ask for a lookup? I am looking for Bernard Salmon born 1872 served with Durham Light infantry in Boer War was also in South Africe prior to the Boer war, his attestation papers say he was in jured in South Africa.

thanks Sheila
Edwards Llanfyllin Wales Evans LLanfyllin Wales
Salmon(Lawrence)b.1847 Monaghan Ireland
Salmon(lawrence)1869 Darlington, died Stockton on Tees
Duffey Staffordshire
Morris LLanfyllin, David Edwards 1779 Llanrhaiader Wales

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 06 June 09 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Mr. JH Lister

I have just seen your posting on Rootschat that you are able to do lookups and am writing to you in the hope you can help me with a query.

My great great uncle was Robert Allingham, born in Co. Sligo in 1869.  He joined the Royal Irish Rifles around the late 1880s.  Robert Allingham eventually returned to Ireland and is shown on the 1911 census as living in Belfast. One of his sons,  Edward Allingham was aged 13 in 1911 and is stated to have been born in Natal, South Africa, which would have been around 1898.  I was wondering if there may be any record of a Robert Allingham in the British South Africa Medal Roll as the family must obviously have been in South Africa around 1897/98.

Any information you can find would be very gratefully received.
Regards
Carol
Orr, Withers, Allingham

Offline wdh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 11 June 09 22:21 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find any information about Trooper John Mark Werrett, who apparently was a member of the British South Africa Company Police and gained a medal and a clasp in 1890 and 1896. He subsequently settled in Souhern Rhodesia.
If you are still active, I would be very grateful if you could provide any assistance.
Many thanks
David

Offline janem46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 17 July 09 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hello

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I understand my grandfather in law Charles Hull served in the Royal Berkshires during the Boer War(s) and actually married in Grahams Town in 1899 where we belive he was a Serjeant. After being demobbed it seems he  later rejoined the Royal Warwickshires for WW1 and died of sunstroke whilst on garrison duties in Khartoum. Might it be possible to trace anything about him please as we have nothing apart from a small photo.

Thanks

JaneM46

Offline shamwari

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 15 August 09 01:51 BST (UK) »
Do you have an Augustus William Black-Barnes and his brother Arthur Bertie Black-Barnes on the list.? They were in the Salisbury Horse regiment, and fought at Bembesi in 1893.
Bird (Hereford)
Barnes (Collingbourne, Wiltshire; Sandown, Isle of Wight; Rhodesia)
Bell (Hopton, Norfolk; Brisbane, Queensland)

Offline Artielady

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 30 August 09 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 Oh I do hope you still offer this service! :-\  I am looking for details for William Barras Baker.  I believe he received the following: He served with the BSAP in the Cape Police and was awarded the following medals: 1877-78 - "Gaika -Gcaleka"  and The BSA Company medal for Matabeleland 1893.  The reason for the Matabeleland medal remains a mystery. I would dearly love to know if he served in the Military and if so in which regiment?  Any information you have which may lead to finding out  where and when he was born and who his parents were, would be immensely helpful.  In fact anything at all would be wonderful!
Looking forward to hearing from you.  Many thanks in advance :)

Offline Mistyrose41

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 13:30 BST (UK) »
The British South Africa Medal Roll is a record of all men who fought in the early Rhodesian Campaigns of 1830, 1893, 1896 and 1897.
If you believe any of your ancentors were there, send me a note of the surname and initials, regimental number and name of regiment I'll see what we can find.

If you don't have the military information, I'll see what can be done with only the surname and initials.

Hello,

I am looking for the service record of my Grandfather Arthur Frederick Foster. I have his details in  WW1.  He was part of the 24th Home Counties Bn. and served in India. He seems to have had two regimental numbers and I am wondering if he served in South Africa too.
     Name: Arthur Frederick Foster
     Birth: 28/11/1873 at Weybridge, Surrey.
     Regiment: possibly East Surreys
     Regimental Numbers: 99 [and on his SWB 206256]

Any help, suggestions would be much appreciated.

regards,

Mistyrose

Wiltshire:  Cricklade, West Knoyle.
Names:Newman,  Mead.
Somerset: Hinton St. George, Lopen, Cricket St. Thomas, Hornblotton.
Names: Brook, Cranton, England, Mead.
Kent: Lympne, Dymchurch, Smeeth.
Names:: Taylor, Glayzier, Tebbles, Newman, Idenden.
Surrey: Hersham, Walton on Thames, Great Bookham, Byfleet, Stoke D'Abernon, Thames Ditton, Esher.
Pyrford.Wonersh.Dunsfold.
Names: Foster, Newman, Glashier, Brown, Bond, Morum, Pantling, Mead.
Middlesex: Littleton, Shepperton.
Names: Newman

Offline kbingy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Lister, (any relation ?)
My great grandfathers both served in the military. Their names were Edward Lister, born middlesex 1881/2, married and settled in Belfast. The other was Thomas Benson, born county Down I think around 1888. Any info you have on them would be wonderful.