Author Topic: Alice Fraser boarded out child at Benvie Farm cottage in 1911  (Read 8857 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Fraser boarded out child at Benvie Farm cottage in 1911
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
Re the Staffordshire marriage of Frederick Fraser and Fanny Bayliss - Feb 11 1890 Walsall

Frederick is recorded as aged 39, a widower and a saddler. Father is stated to be Frederick Fraser (deceased) a watchmaker. ( Fanny is a 31 year old widow, Father Jeremiah Kitson).

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline dorothy taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 16:25 BST (UK) »
This is still amazing to me, all I had when I started this journey last week was Alice's name and date of birth, now I have a family out there somewhere and a mystery to solve.  Wish my dad was alive to tell him all this as he knew nothing either.  I cannot thank you all enough.
fraser. taylor, moncur, mcneil

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 16:35 BST (UK) »
There is a pretty detailed service record for a Frederick Fraser b 1849 Inverness - regiment North Staffordshire. Have not read it all but the following may be of interest - on attestation 15 July 1867(age 18 ) calling said to be a baker. He married Margaret McInerney in Limerick 9th July 1872. ... his record is not without blemish!

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
Ok, November 1873, in Limerick District, an un-named male child born to a Frederick and Margaret Fraser, with Frederick's address as New Barrack and occupation as Private in 64th. Hard to make out Margaret's surname, but certainly does look something similar to McInerney. Her address seems to be Mary Street.

Not seeing a marriage at moment.

I think North Staffordshire Regiment was 64th Foot.

An 1873 birth fits well with Charles' age at marriage.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline dorothy taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
That information sounds really promising, where can I look at please

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 17:04 BST (UK) »
Army record seems to have Frederick in Porstmouth in 1876. If son was Charles, perhaps Charles thought he was born there, as he perhaps lived there when young.

Army record available to view with a FindMyPast subscription or credits.

Neither birth record nor army record, from what I have read of it so far, mention a middle name for Frederick.

Birth certificate for un-named male Fraser can be viewed for free at www.irishgenealogy.ie via the Civil Index tab.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 18:07 BST (UK) »
Noting that the service record for Frederick Fraser states he was RC there is a Catholic Baptism on SP for a Charles Fraser- parents Frederick Fraser and Margaret McEnerney in Dundee St Andrew's 13 Sept 1902. Birth date given as 3 Nov 1873.

The new Scottish Catholic Records on FindMyPast may also be worth a look - there his birthplace is given as Limerick.

William

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 18:19 BST (UK) »
Just checked the Limerick certificate again for un-named Fraser, and it matches for 3rd.

Offline dorothy taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 18:24 BST (UK) »
Millmoor, I have subscribed to findmypast but cannot find any service records other than joining up one, where do I go to find the information you found