Author Topic: 1841 and 1851 census George St. Oxford  (Read 5346 times)

Offline jabawak

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1841 and 1851 census George St. Oxford
« on: Friday 29 July 05 07:09 BST (UK) »
Would someone be able to look for the Scragg family living in George Street please. They were Elizabeth born 1809 in Oxford and George born c1803 , children Julia born 1838, Cornelius born 1841, Thirza born 1844 and Reuben born 1846 Hoping some kind soul can help, thanks  Jabawak
Northumberland, Matfin, Jobling, Hall, White, Watson, Snowball  Middlesex London, Donegan, Biddell, Butler, Woodcock, Oxford, Tasker, Eaton, Gadney. Norfolk Woodcock. Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 and 1851 census George St. Oxford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 July 05 07:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jabawak

I can find them in 1851 for you film 1728 Fo 622
66 George Street - St Mary Magdelaine, Oxford

SCRAGG
Elizabeth H Wid 42 Charwomen
Henry James Son U 18 Coal Lab
Julia Letitia Dau 12 Nursing
Cornelius Geo. Son 10 Scholar
Thirza Amelia Dau 7 Scholar
Reuban Charles Son 4
Sophia GARDNER mother Wid 72 Pauper
all born Oxford

Hope it helps

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 July 05 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again

don't know if you have this but
George Scragg married Elizabeth Tasker 27th June 1829 St Mary Mag. Oxford

Incidentally - if you are descended from this family it would make you a distant relation of another poster on these boards called 'Judee' - Elizabeths father James Tasker  was transported to Australia for theft and Judee has been tracing the family

all the best

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline jabawak

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie Thankyou so much for looking that up for me. Yes Juddee and I are both descended from James Tasker the pig stealer, and we are working together. She came to visit me when she was in Canberra earlier this year and she is great. I have been able to access the microfiche of the parish registers from St. Mary Magdalene so I knew about George, he died in 1850. I hadn't found any children for George and Elizabeth prior to Julia Letitia born in 1840, so welcome Henry James into the family I think there are more children I don't know about yet. I am at my daughters house in Victoria at the moment getting to know my newest grandaughter, so I don't have my Family History things with me but I will return home on Saturday and get back into it best wishes  Jabawak
Northumberland, Matfin, Jobling, Hall, White, Watson, Snowball  Middlesex London, Donegan, Biddell, Butler, Woodcock, Oxford, Tasker, Eaton, Gadney. Norfolk Woodcock. Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hey!

Sorry to butt in our your link, but I noticed that a Sophia Gardner (mother) was in the household. But Elizabeth's maiden name was Tasker! Just a bit confusing! I also think Sophia Gardner is an ancestor of mine. Another family living at 66 George St in the 1851 census was an Andrew Gardner (Sophia's grandson I believe). Anyway, slightly confused, can anyone help?
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

We are fairly sure that Sophia Gardiner was in fact Sophia Tasker (nee Eaton) who died in the workhouse in 1871 aged 90 we had been looking for her in the early census for the county for a while with no success and were suspecting she was using another name - her husband James Tasker was transported for stealing in the 1820s and we think that she started using her sister Jemima's (who was married to James Gardner) married name to avoid connection to him - is it possible that your Andrew is in fact descended from Jemima and James rather from Sophia? - as far as we know she didn't remarry after her first husband was transported

hope this makes it clearer

Debbie

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Thanks, that clear things up.
You're right, Andrew is the son of James and Jemima.
Your name-changing theory also seems to make sense.
Thanks for the help.
Andy
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I received my transcripts of the registers for St Mary Magdelaine today so here are a few notes - mainly on the Eaton family

Andrew Gardner was the son of James & Jemima Gardner - baptised 25th Dec 1827 St Mary Mag

James Gardner married Jemima Eaton 21st May 1815 St Mary Mag

Other notes on this Eaton family -

1776 William Eaton married Mary Gadney - St Mary Mag

baptisms
1779 Sophia d/o William & Mary Eaton
1781 Lydia d/o William & Mary Eaton
1783 Thomas s/o William & Mary Eaton
1786 John Gadney s/o William & Mary Eaton
1789 Jemima d/o William & Mary Eaton
1790 Mary Ann d/o William & Mary Eaton

1798 Nov 7th Mary illeg d/o Sopia Eaton
             buried 1798 Nov 22nd
1803 Apr 13th Harriet illeg d/o Lydia Eaton
1806 Jan 16th Maria illeg d/o Sophia Eaton
              buried 1806 August 10th
1807 May 24th Charles illeg s/o Lydia Eaton

marriages
1808 James Tasker = Sophia Eaton
1809 Thomas Eaton (otp) = Ann Vizard of Overworton
1813 John Eaton (otp) = Ann Leaming of Chinner
1825 James Scragg = Harriet Eaton
        witnessed Thomas Atkins & Mary Ann Weston

Debbie

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 August 05 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

Wonderful, wonderful news  :D :D :D   Jabawak will be over the moon like myself at this breakthrough.

That has filled in the blank space I had on the Eaton side .....now I can concentrate on finding James' parents and siblings.

A big heartfelt thank you Debbie  :D :D
Juddee

PS  Would James' birthplace be noted on the marriage entry...might narrow my search down for him.

Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />