Author Topic: 1841 and 1851 census George St. Oxford  (Read 5347 times)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 and 1851 census George St. Oxford
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 August 05 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi there Juddee & All

Sorry no it does not give James birth place on the marriage - the only things it gives us is the fact that neither James nor Sophia could sign their names - both marked with crosses and the witnesses were Thomas Atkins & Mary Ann Weston.

they went on to have the following children baptised
1809 June 15th Elizabeth d/o James & Sophia
1811 March 10th William s/o James & Sophia
             buried 1812 Feb 7th aged 11mnths
1813 Jan 6 William Henry s/o James & Sophia of Broken Hays - lab
1814 Nov 13th Jemima d/o James & Sophia of George Lane - lab
1817 June 1st Daniel s/o James & Sophia of Broken Hayes - lab
             buried 1820 Apri 19th Daniel Tasker of Broken hays aged 3
1819 Oct 8th William s/o James & Sophia of Broken Hayes - lab
             buried 1820 May 11th William Tasker of Broken Hays aged 7mths

there are 2 other burials which might be a clue as to James's family
1823 Dec 5th Robert Tasker of George Lane aged 27
1827 March 1 Daniel Tasker of Broken Hays aged 44

I think it very possible that these two could have been brothers of James - it could be born in mind when looking at possible baptisms for him.

finally there was also the burial of Sophia
1871 Dec 23rd Sophia Tasker from The Workhouse aged 92

Sorry - remind me again which areas you are looking at as possibles for where James came from, and I will see if I can think of anything else.

All the best for now

Debbie

Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 August 05 12:58 BST (UK) »
HI Debbie

On the list of convicts taken at Muster in Sydney Cove 16 October 1820 James is listed as 35 y/o and born Oxford City. This info was extracted from the Indents of the ship which bought him to Oz.

On another of the papers his birthplace is Bucks...I don't know if that means a town or county and his death certificate in 1850 does not show any native place.

When James was tried he was living in the parish of South Hinksey Berkshire.......I think he was possibly working on a farm when he nicked the pig.

Where is Broken Hay(e)s Debbie?   I also believe that Robert and Daniel may be his brothers from the info you have found, ages appear about right.

Gosh Sophia had a sad life ..she must have been one strong woman.  I cried when I read what you had found Debbie....losing two precious angels and a husband all within a few months, then possibly not knowing if James was dead or alive over the following years and finally dying in a workhouse.

You have done a fantastic job finding this family Debbie..I can only say thank you     :) :) :-*

Cheers  Juddee

Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline jabawak

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 August 05 03:26 BST (UK) »
Hi all it appears that Sophia also had 2 illigitimate babies that both died before she married James,  and she lost the 2nd baby William after her marriage. She must have been a very strong lady to have born all that grief and lived till 90 years old. I hope that some of that strength has come down to me, she was my 3great grandmother. Thankyou Debbie for all your help   Jabawak
Northumberland, Matfin, Jobling, Hall, White, Watson, Snowball  Middlesex London, Donegan, Biddell, Butler, Woodcock, Oxford, Tasker, Eaton, Gadney. Norfolk Woodcock. Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jabawak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 August 05 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hello DebbieG, it's me again please would you be able to look on 1851 to see if you can find Sophias sister Lydia. She married John Hamilton on 18 June 1815 at St. Cross, Oxford. Also if you could find her brothers Thomas or John. Lydia died in 1863 and was buried at St. Giles, Oxford. Do you know what film I would have to order at the Family History Centre to find them in 1841? This family is taking over my life. Thankyou for all you have done for us best wishes  Jabawak
Northumberland, Matfin, Jobling, Hall, White, Watson, Snowball  Middlesex London, Donegan, Biddell, Butler, Woodcock, Oxford, Tasker, Eaton, Gadney. Norfolk Woodcock. Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 August 05 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I have found the Hamiltons in 1851
Fo 504 Plantation Road - St Giles Parish

HAMILTON
John H M 52 Cordwainer
Lydia W M 69
William H S M 31
Eliza H D-I L M 33 born Aston
Louisa D 11 born Aston
Lydia D 9
John S 7
Elizabeth D 5
Emily d 3
Selina D 1
Harriet SCRAGG GD 16

all born Oxford except Eliza & Louisa.

As for how to find them in 1841 I am afraid I don't know the film number - all I can say is that St Giles parish is not part of the Oxford city census registration district, it comes under Headington registration District and in 1851 the part of the area also contains the St Johns Infirmary

Hope it helps

Debbie

PS I do have some register transcripts for St Giles
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 August 05 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone  :D

Another question Debbie  ;D  ;D

is it possible the Headington Workhouse where Sophia died and the St Johns Infirmary are the one and the same institution?

Regards  Juddee
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 August 05 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't think they are the same place - the infirmary is still there today - its a large very good hospital called Radcliffe Infirmary just off the Woodstock road in Oxford - the workhouse was on London Road.  There is a bit more background on the workhouse on this site

http://www.headington.org.uk/history/buildings/workhouse.htm

Debbie

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 August 05 20:59 BST (UK) »

Thanks once again Debbie, for your help.

Juddee  :) :)

Offline jabawak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie thankyou for all your help so far. Do you have access to any parish records from Abingdon, there was a Thomas Tasker of Abingdon married in St Mary Magdalene in 1741.I wonder if he could have been related to our James. How do I go about searching to see if James was christened in Abingdon? Any help would be very welcome, I dream about this family !            best wishes     Jabawak