Author Topic: Susan's surname  (Read 1049 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Susan's surname
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 11:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the bigger clip.

That upwards attacking-stroke on the first letter is often found on K. I would say it begins Ke.... It might end v or r or even t. Very hard to say.

ADDED - I'm tempted to suggest Kent, because there are so many of that name in Great/Little Chesterford, including some with the same first names as Robert and Susan's children (e.g. Grace Kent and Daniel Kent). But I'm not convinced the 3rd letter is n.

Ancestry has another transcription of the surname as Keene. They have this marriage transcribed three times (no images). One has Robert and Susan both abbreviated and only the year given - so maybe from Boyd's or similar indexes.

Assuming it was Reeve, I have researched a likely Susan Reeve and found one whose parents were Benedict and Grace.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=770336.msg6229738#msg6229738

There are a number of trees on Ancestry with this marriage all using Reeve as surname, but none has found any parents for Susan, although they have Robert's parents.

The alias of John Ffrench looks a bit like Spirer, which doesn't sound a likely surname, maybe should be Spicer?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott