Author Topic: WW1 Record Card ADDNS  (Read 822 times)

Offline hilarybelton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chasing Ancestors!
    • View Profile
WW1 Record Card ADDNS
« on: Sunday 30 April 17 01:20 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me what this means please, on the WW1 Record Card (at FindMyPast):

ADDNS PER ARMY LIST

Rubber stamped in capital letters and purple ink onto the card.

Thanks - and goodnight for now!
HARTIGAN, JOYNT, MULLAUGH, PIXTON, RENSHAW, DOOLEY, MEIR, HARRISON, LONGDON, MCNALLY, KENNY, KEATING, BELTON, CUMPSTON, WILLIAMS, PRICE, DODD, WILLIAMS, MOTTERSHEAD, WIGLEY, SALTHOUSE, BRADLEY, WALTERS, BRAIDWOOD, INGLES, MILLER, HESKETH, RALSTON, COLEMAN, ELLERY, WARBURTON

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Record Card ADDNS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 April 17 04:28 BST (UK) »
Probably Additions?

Was this a Medal Index Card?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline hilarybelton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chasing Ancestors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 April 17 11:30 BST (UK) »
I have accounted for almost everything on this record card except for Addns Per Army List - there must be a list somewhere but not online? and Per M.M.B (which I shall Google now). This soldier enlisted with the HAC in Jun 1915 and went with them as part of the BEF when he turned 20, in Sep 1915. He was a Private until 29 Jan 16 and on 30 Jan 16 he was moved to the 13th Welsh and was made temporary 2nd Lt, and possibly acting captain - possibly Jul 1918. In Aug 1919 he 'resigned' his commission because of wounds and ill health but kept his rank of 2nd Lt for which he had also been given seniority of service. He was mentioned in the Gazette for most of these. In Aug 1919 he was awarded the Silver War Badge. This man is on the fringe of my tree, no blood relative, but my mother met him in the 1940s (when he employed her husband's mother as 'housekeeper') and the only impression of him that I got was of a very quiet, private man, well educated, with a good desk job with British Electricity, who just wanted to live a normal, perfectly proper and ordinary, life. It seemed fitting to find out what his war experience had been - and I think he had probably survived a terrible war. It is possible that he joined the Territorials afterwards - I'll be looking at that just now - as mother thought he was 'a Major or something important'.

HARTIGAN, JOYNT, MULLAUGH, PIXTON, RENSHAW, DOOLEY, MEIR, HARRISON, LONGDON, MCNALLY, KENNY, KEATING, BELTON, CUMPSTON, WILLIAMS, PRICE, DODD, WILLIAMS, MOTTERSHEAD, WIGLEY, SALTHOUSE, BRADLEY, WALTERS, BRAIDWOOD, INGLES, MILLER, HESKETH, RALSTON, COLEMAN, ELLERY, WARBURTON

Offline hilarybelton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chasing Ancestors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 April 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
MMB is Majoy Mayhew's Book - I have found FindMyPast's glossary of terms used on these cards, the symbols confirm that he went abroad first with the HAC and then with another regiment (Welsh). Doesn't help with Addns...  though :)

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 May 17 09:04 BST (UK) »
I suspect that ADDNS etc. simply means that any further information on this man's final rank will be found in the Army Lists published after the date stamped on the card. The Army Lists recorded all commissioned officers' details and were published regularly - at this stage in the war I think the Lists were updated every six months or so. Any large library should have a run of the Army Lists and you should be able to follow his subsequent Army career up to the point he was demobilised.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline hilarybelton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Chasing Ancestors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 May 17 10:51 BST (UK) »
That's great - thanks! My local Manchester Central Library should have them, I think :)

Thank you for your reply
Hilary