Author Topic: Thomas Hilton, born 1779, Heckington, Lincolnshire.  (Read 697 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Hilton, born 1779, Heckington, Lincolnshire.
« on: Friday 05 May 17 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

The above person was a possible half sibling of one of my Ancestors.
I looked on "Find My Past" in the Library today. I found a Military record for the above person, dated 1817.
It says on the original image that Thomas was in the 2nd Batallion of The Rifle Brigade. He joined up in April 1809, at Hythe, Kent, at the age of around 30. General Sir David Dundas (GCB) was colonel at that time.
The record says that Thomas was injured at Waterloo, on the 18th of June 1815 from a gunshot.
He was being discharged in 1817 because of the gunshot wound, and what looks like: "being undersized and weakly".

What I would like to know please is what battles he was involved in that are down on this original record.
I can read that the first says: "Flushing, 1809". I can read: "Salamanca, 1812. Vittoria, 1813, Toulouse, 1814, Waterloo, 1815".There is what looks like a: "Chateau de (something?)" dated 1813. There is a place name written before Toulouse also.But I'm not sure about the names of the other battles because it isn't that clear.

Any help regarding the above would be gratefully accepted.

Thank you very much. :) ;)

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hilton, born 1779, Heckington, Lincolnshire.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 May 17 18:46 BST (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 May 17 19:00 BST (UK) »
Would it be this one?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k1y/
To be honest I'm not sure. But thank you anyway.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 May 17 19:35 BST (UK) »
He is possibly the Private listed at the bottom of this page here in: Number 4 Company (Logan's) 2nd Battalion 95th Rifles. It seems they were in Spain when this list was taken between September - December 1813:http://www.95th-rifles.co.uk/research/establishment-and-stations/

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 May 17 11:31 BST (UK) »
It looks a bit like (to me anyway): "Chateau de Manguez", in 1813, in the list of places where Thomas saw action at.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 May 17 10:45 BST (UK) »
I found out myself quite a bit about Thomas Hilton, through research of his Battalion on the internet, and deciphering the possible names of the battles he was possibly involved in. Some were hard to read, as I stated before, on his Service record that is on Find My Past:

First of all, Thomas was baptised in 1780, in Heckington, Lincolnshire, not 1779 which I had put in the title. His Father's name was also Thomas Hilton.

Thomas Hilton junior joined the 2nd Battalion of the 95th Rifles, at Hythe, Kent, on the 3rd of April 1809. His service record states that his conduct as a soldier had been: "that of a very good, steady, sober, and deserving man". He saw action at:
 Flushing, in the Netherlands July - August, 1809.
 Then there is a big list of battles that he was involved in, around Portugal, Spain, and France, during the Napoleonic wars:
 Sabugal - 3rd of April 1811.
 Redhina (?)
 Fuentes de Onoro - 3-5 of May 1811.
 The Siege of Ciudad Rodrigo - 7-20th of January 1812.
 The Siege of Badajoz - 16th of March - 6th of April 1812.
 The Battle of salamanca - July the 22nd 1812.
 Vitoria - 21st of June 1813.
 Sare (near La Rhune, in the Pyrenees) - October the 7th 1813.
 Chatteau de (?)
 The Battle of Orthez - 27th of February 1814.
 The Battle of Toulouse - 10th of April 1814.
 Waterloo - 18th of June 1815.

Thomas was discharged in May 1817. He was only 5 foot 4 inches tall. He was discharged in consequence of; "Gunshot wound in the fight, on 18th of june 1815 at Waterloo, and being undersized and weakly". Thomas went back to Heckington and became a Carpenter. He married in Heckington, in 1818, and died in Heckington, on the 6th of January 1865.
The "Stamford Mercury" from the 13th of January 1865 stated that Thomas: "was one of the last remaining Waterloo pensioners in the area".  :)