Author Topic: Help wanted to find biological family of grandmother,  (Read 10126 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help wanted to find biological family of grandmother,
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 07 May 17 01:23 BST (UK) »
I can find newspaper mention of Alexandra Home.

Reading several articles, it seems to have cared for, among others,  births to unmarried women.

Offline kiwi25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 07 May 17 02:44 BST (UK) »
What  is the name of the hospital where your mother was born. Wellington hospital for unmarried mothers is not finding anything on an internet search. If it was a hospital for poor woman, but not exclusively unmarried women, Caroline might be a married woman....living in defacto relationship etc. Age 27 is rather older than average for first birth in 1912 so possibly earlier births for Caroline. What age was baby at adoption.

See post 29 - Alexandra Hospital for unmarried mothers.

Adoption papers 5th June. Mother born 12 the May. So mum was only about 3 weeks old at time of adoption

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 07 May 17 03:13 BST (UK) »
kiwi25 - do you have a copy of your mother's original birth printout or certificate?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 07 May 17 03:43 BST (UK) »
seems a huge coincidence that there was a Caroline Richardson birth in NZ in 1885. Given that Caroline Louisa born 1886, doesn't seem to have left UK, I think this other one  merits further investigation.
Isobel

I think this would be worth checking - it might have been assumed that it was Brighton UK.

Yep,

Agree with both & more so the fact that there's no middle name (Louisa) for Caroline on the Adoption  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 07 May 17 07:56 BST (UK) »
Do you have the adoption document?.  If you do not have this document, you need to get a copy so that you can respond to the questions being asked here.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 07 May 17 09:08 BST (UK) »
Her 'biological' mother (who was not adopted) was Caroline Richardson daughter of Henry Richardson & Catherine Batt.

This hasn't been proved. Caroline, daughter of Henry and Catherine, 'fits' the information given but no more than that.

Henry and Catherine's daughter Caroline (Louise) was still in Brighton at the time of the 1911 census. There is a marriage of a Caroline Louise Richardson to William Brown in Brighton in the 3rd quarter of 1911. You would have to check this marriage to find out if it is the same person.

Looking at births in Brighton, there is an Ellen Brown born 4th quarter 1911, mother's maiden name Richardson.

I am very happy to be proved wrong, but my 'gut' feeling is that this is not 'your' Caroline :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwi25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 07 May 17 09:20 BST (UK) »
Only information we have is on adoption papers for my mother (discovered when her adoptive parents died) says "Caroline Richardson, 27, born in Brighton, England. Have ordered her birth certificate and read the entry of her birth in a handwritten register. Her father was Henry (bricklayer) and her mother was Catherine (née Batt). Siblings were Frederick, Albert, Kate.
Would really appreciate help  regarding any marriages, births, deaths of Caroline's siblings.

My mother (Caroline's daughter) was born in a home for unmarried mothers in Wellington, New Zealand) on 1st May 1912

I have read this over & over as well as reading all replies & I'm still confused!

I understand from the wording that your mother was adopted.
Her 'biological' mother (who was not adopted) was Caroline Richardson daughter of Henry Richardson & Catherine Batt.

If this is correct, is it not true that you are actually researching the 'biological' family of your mother rather than the biological family of your g/mother?

The way it's worded is as though your g/mother was adopted as well as your mother!

Can you please clarify it's the family/ancestors of Caroline Richardson, parents Henry & Catherine Batt you want to trace  ???

Annie
I would like to find any descendants and present related family members of Caroline. The adoption document said she was 27 at the time of the adoption.
My mother was 3 weeks old when she was adopted according to the adoption papers

Added, Was Caroline Richardson 27 yrs old in 1912 when your mother was adopted & how old was your mother when she was adopted?

If your mother was adopted very soon after birth this would mean her mother Caroline was born c1885 (is this correct)?

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 07 May 17 09:42 BST (UK) »
As an added incentive to research the 1885 birth of Caroline Richardson born in New Zealand, there was at the time living in New Zealand between Hawkes Bay in 1875 and New Plymouth in 1918 one George Stewart Hill, whose mother Louisa Caroline Hill nee Richardson had lived in New Zealand for a few years after 1875.
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 07 May 17 11:23 BST (UK) »
I have been reading this from thee start and Kiwi although the Caroline Richardson born in Brighton Sussex does at first sight does appear to fit then the later information that has been found really suggests it wasn't her.

I think you have to stand back and think what first person evidence do you have?

My guess is that Caroline herself didn't write that note and therefore a misunderstanding could very easily occurred when the note was written.

Does it appear that the note was written at the same time as the rest of the record or could it have been added later?

I think you are putting to much emphasis on that note without looking at possible evidence.

Thee New Zealand born Caroline is a much more obvious contender and I think you need to concentrate on what you can find out about her.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk