Author Topic: Help wanted to find biological family of grandmother,  (Read 10127 times)

Offline kiwi25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help wanted to find biological family of grandmother,
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 07 May 17 16:28 BST (UK) »
I have been reading this from thee start and Kiwi although the Caroline Richardson born in Brighton Sussex does at first sight does appear to fit then the later information that has been found really suggests it wasn't her.

I think you have to stand back and think what first person evidence do you have?

My guess is that Caroline herself didn't write that note and therefore a misunderstanding could very easily occurred when the note was written.

Does it appear that the note was written at the same time as the rest of the record or could it have been added later?

I think you are putting to much emphasis on that note without looking at possible evidence.

Thee New Zealand born Caroline is a much more obvious contender and I think you need to concentrate on what you can find out about her.

There is no note, written by Caroline or anyone else! The only documents we have are the formal, legal adoption papers, numbered, registered and signed by the people involved at the time.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 07 May 17 17:48 BST (UK) »
So included in the document is a statement that the birth mother was Caroline Richardson who was born in Brighton England?

It still cannot be taken as the truth.

I know someone who was adopted and who's birth mother said in the documents she only had a fleeting affair with a soldier from another country when in fact she was and had been for a long period in time cohabiting with the English father.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 07 May 17 21:09 BST (UK) »

There is no note, written by Caroline or anyone else! The only documents we have are the formal, legal adoption papers, numbered, registered and signed by the people involved at the time.

Do these papers include her original birth certificate?

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 08 May 17 07:53 BST (UK) »

"..The only documents we have are the formal, legal adoption papers, numbered, registered and signed by the people involved at the time."

Can you scan the pages and post them here please.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 08 May 17 10:07 BST (UK) »

Sorry don’t have access to check these records out - could this be the same Caroline  born 1885 NZ

New Zealand Electoral Rolls 1853 - 1981

Caroline Richardson
Res. 1905-1906 - Dunedin South, Otago

Caroline Richardson
Res.   1911 - Dunedin West, Otago
seems a huge coincidence that there was a Caroline Richardson birth in NZ in 1885.

Given that Caroline Louisa born 1886, doesn't seem to have left UK,

I think this other one  merits further investigation.

Would it be worth eliminating:

1885/17710 Caroline Richardson mother Emily, father NR

This is a New Zealand Birth, and there is a Brighton in New Zealand (near Dunedin).s
yes, definitely eliminate this one
Adoption document clearly said Caroline Richardson aged 27 born in Brighton England

I think I agree with Isobelw perhaps investigating further the Caroline Richardson born 1885 NZ - even if it's just to eliminate her, even though adoption record states born England

Have you checked passenger lists to confirm if any persons named  Caroline Richardson born in England arrived in NZ before 1912?

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 08 May 17 21:51 BST (UK) »
Kiwi25, your mother's birth would have been registered as Caroline's daughter and then when she was adopted she would be registered again as the daughter of her adoptive parents.

Do you have a copy of the original registration?  It would be useful to know who registered your mother's birth and also the details about Caroline.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 09:46 BST (UK) »
Just to let everyone know, I've had a pm from kiwi25, she is grateful for the help but as a newbie to this forum finding her experience here a bit overwhelming with so much information going backwards and forwards.

She is away from home just now and doesn't have access to the original documents.

When kiwi does return, a full transcription will suffice (which she has already posted), there is no need for her to post images of the full details from her family's papers.

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 10:04 BST (UK) »
Just to let everyone know, I've had a pm from kiwi25, she is grateful for the help but as a newbie to this forum finding her experience here a bit overwhelming with so much information going backwards and forwards.

Thank you Dawn. It's very easy for those of us who are used to the workings of Rootschat to fire off information and questions and we can forget how overwhelming this can be to a newcomer.

Kiwi, yesterday I spent quite a lot of time looking at Caroline Louisa Richardson born 1886, who we now know was still in Brighton in 1911 (see reply #24)

From what I found I am pretty convinced that she remained in England after 1911 and that, sadly, she is not the person for whom you are searching.

I am quite happy to go into more detail if you wish.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dawn. I agree, Jen, it is very confusing to a new comer. Perhaps we need to slow down and give kiwi25 time to digest what we've found and decide what is and what isn't relevant