Author Topic: Help wanted to find biological family of grandmother,  (Read 10119 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help wanted to find biological family of grandmother,
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 10:58 BST (UK) »
While we're waiting for kiwi to return, I've been having a think.

Could Caroline Richardson be a married name? 27 seems a bit too old to be single at that time  :-\

If she was married, maybe her husband wasn't the father :-\

Are there any Richardson's born 1884-1886 on incoming NZ passenger lists upto 1912?

I don't know how civil registration works in NZ. Would there be a birth registration and adoption registration in the same index. In England & Wales there is a separate adoiption index after 1927

How do the folio numbers on the NZ births records on Ancestry tie up with the official NZ bmd site reference numbers?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 11:13 BST (UK) »
While we're waiting for kiwi to return, I've been having a think.

27 seems a bit too old to be single at that time  :-\

I too have been having a 'think'.....

This is where seeing that part of the doc. could shine a light?

Is the '7' actually a '7' or is it an old fashioned '1' ?

I also wonder if the person on the 1911 census named Dolly Boneface aged 20 (at that point in time) may have been the mother but used Caroline's details (name) as a cover-up?
Bearing in mind that Caroline remained in England.
May be worth looking for 'Boneface' on a passenger list?

Maybe my mind is running a bit wild now   ???  ;D

Annie

Edit as Dolly Boneface was 20 yrs old in 1901 not 1911

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 11:18 BST (UK) »

I don't know how civil registration works in NZ. Would there be a birth registration and adoption registration in the same index. In England & Wales there is a separate adoiption index after 1927

Not for that period.

The original birth certificates are redacted for I think 120 years, or perhaps 125 years.  Family members can apply for them.  On the index that you can access via the NZ BDM site you will only see the latest registration - so in the case of Kiwi25's mother you would only see the registration from after the adoption which superceded the previous one.  This would explain why wivenhoe couldn't see it.

One of my ancestors was registered in NZ as her mother's daughter (no father named) and then soon after as her grandparents' daughter.  I have seen both records, but the only one on BDM is the latter one (and that's the one on the Ancestry index).  It certainly fools the name grabbers doing their trees (and then to cap it off there was a transcription error with the surname of the man she married, so when I saw that in trees I knew for sure that they didn't know us from Adam)

There is a folio/fiche though available (but not online for the nosey parkers) which just has birthname, region and year (maybe the quarter) that can provide clues.

New Zealand laws must differ considerably from some other jurisdictions.  One of my relatives and his wife adopted a boy in Scotland.  His biological sister found out in her twenties that she had a brother and was able to narrow down who it could be by going through folios at an office somewhere. She was fortunate in that his adoptive parents had an uncommon surname.  I received an e-mail at work in the late 1990s from someone looking for family of so-and-so.  It didn't say why, but I had a hunch why.  They were able to get in touch.

I met my distant cousin recently.  He was very keen to meet me because I was the only person who  replied to her e-mail.  Most of the people she contacted would not have been from the right family, but none of them replied to say "sorry - we don't have anyone in this family by that name".

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 11:20 BST (UK) »

I too have been having a 'think'.....

This is where seeing that part of the doc. could shine a light?

Is the '7' actually a '7' or is it an old fashioned '1' ?

I also wonder if the person on the 1911 census named Dolly Boneface aged 20 (at that point in time) may have been the mother but used Caroline's details (name) as a cover-up?
Bearing in mind that Caroline remained in England.
May be worth looking for 'Boneface' on a passenger list?

Maybe my mind is running a bit wild now   ???  ;D

Annie

Eh?

Are you suggesting a Dolly Boneface was on the 1911 census in England and the following year was in NZ using someone else's details when she gave her daughter up for adoption?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 11:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry...... :-[

Have edited Reply #55

I should have read Reply #24 properly  ::)

Annie

Added, Yes Hurworth, that was my thought until I reread #24  :)
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"