Author Topic: Benjamin BRIGHTON, born 1834-1836, Middlesex  (Read 3362 times)

Offline herbicule

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin BRIGHTON, born 1834-1836, Middlesex
« Reply #18 on: Monday 24 July 17 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi. I've been down this confusing road 25 years ago when researching my family history. The William Blyghton/Brighton born c1803 is the son of William and Lucy Blyton. Benjamin born c1834 is the son of the 1803 William and Martha (not married) Martha's real name was Bethlinda Green. I have no idea who Jane Brighton is in the 1851 census. I assume she was an interim girlfriend of William as he was later with Martha again. I have loads of information on this family going back to the 1500s and on to the present as I am a direct descendant of them (unfortunately)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 July 17 21:54 BST (UK) »
Good Evening herbicule,

I hope you are the answer to my prayers in settling who Benjamin BRIGHTON was and his biography from 1834 onwards.   I am aware of his criminal history, or at least some of the details.

I look forward to your help and guidance. 8)

BAC3

Offline herbicule

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 July 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
I was not aware of Benjamin's criminal past until I read your post. I know most other things though. The surname was always Blyton until the censuses then became Brighton /Briton probably due to illiteracy. All certificates I have from 1870s onward it is Blyghton as is my name. 1834 Benjamin died in 1903 Westminster workhouse I believe. I will have to consult my old records. William c1803 had brothers John c1801 and Benjamin c1808. All three had partners and future children but I could find no marriage records All these Blyton families lived in the slums of Westminster known as the Devils' Acre. My own grandfather was born in Lewisham Street Westminster in 1901

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
Good Morning herbicule,

Thank you for the detailed information which hopefully will open up Benjamin's profile.

I shall start preparing a short Biography for him, following a standard basis used for my PhD research on Parkhurst Prison 1838-1864 as a reformatory for juvenile offenders, one of whom was Benjamin BLYTON in the 1850's.   Incidentally, would you be able to let me have copies of any BDM Certificates for him?   If so, we could discuss later how to send them and at the same time allow me to provide a copy of the Biography should you wish.

I am extremely grateful for your help.

BAC3

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hello herbicule,

I had forgotten that I had already documented Charles BLYGHTON (BLIGHTON), born 1831/32 St Margaret, Westminster, who was the son of William BLYGHTON and Bethlinda GREEN.   He also had an interesting career and I wonder if you would like a copy of the Biography I hold for him, which contains verified details of his upbringing!!

For the moment,

BAC3

Offline herbicule

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hello BAC3
I would love a copy of the biography of Charles Blyghton. He was my great great grandfather. I can make copies of his marriage and death certificates should you want them. Unfortunately I have no certificates for Benjamin. When I did my research in the early 90s I was only buying certificates for direct ancestors. You probably know that Charles died of liver cirrhosis in 1880. He is buried at Brompton cemetery in a paupers grave. His son, also Charles, born 1860, was a colourful character. He was my granddad's dad so I know all about him by word of mouth. He was a Hansom cab man and I have a copy of his license from 1910 including photo if you would like a copy. It is rumoured in our family that Charles senior's wife, Emily Mott, was from a Huguenot family but I've found no evidence of this

Offline herbicule

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 19:49 BST (UK) »
Been dusting down some certificates and I have copies of the birth of Benjamin's siblings William 1839. George 1840 and Margaret Elizabeth 1850. Also the death certificate of Thomas Blyghton 1838, age 8 weeks. Also Charles Blyghton and Emily Harriet Mott's marriage certificate 1858 and the death certificates of William Blyghton 1878 age 75, Bethlinda Green 1881 age 67, both having died in St George Union workhouse. There was a spate of Blyton deaths in Westminster during January/February 1836 including that of William age 58, the grandfather of the subjects of your biographies. I found it odd that not all the children's births were registered

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 20:12 BST (UK) »
Good Evening herbicule,

I have sent you a Personal Message (PM) with my email address and you can then respond with a PM confirming your address.

My Biography for Charles BLYGHTON is in fact quite substantial and comprehensive, but there are gaps which hopefully you may be able to fill.  The happy part, and rewarding aspect for me, especially as a by-product of my research, is that I can offer these details to a Great Great Grandson as a direct and living descendant::)

For the moment,

BAC3

Offline Simon Winters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 21 January 19 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am a descendant of Charles Blyghton of Westminster. My grandmother was his daughter Flora. I have the complete original collection of the Blyghton family photographs, including him, his partner (they were unmarried) and their children. My cousin holds his original cab licence with photo.

Our family still live in Westminster, close to where he lived.

Simon Winters