Author Topic: Mensforth and Laurence (Lawrence)  (Read 5002 times)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mensforth and Laurence (Lawrence)
« Reply #36 on: Friday 19 May 17 02:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jen

Your information dotted some i's & t's for me....

I will look forward to your pm...

Cheran 8) 8)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 06:57 BST (UK) »
Trying to track

Edward Mensforth father in the 1841 census

I came across a John Mensforth married to an Anne Hall  on an online tree then on the 1841 census there is a John Mensforth and wife Anne with daughter age 13 with a family of Hall's in Durham.....

John is meant to have been a shipwright but has been elusive on the census...

Given that his son Edward Mensforth is meant to have been born in North Shields, wonder if any anyone can find either him or his father on the 1841 census.... ??? ???

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hey Cheryl,

Yes Edward Mensforth's father has been a brick wall for me for well over a decade...I have looked and looked and I haven't found hide nor hair of him. I suspect that he died prior to the 1841 census to be honest. There are a number of Durham Mensforth's but none that seem to match well.

I did find a marriage in Tynemouth, Christchurch, Northumberland (which is basically North Shields), but it is too late to be the one you mentioned.

John Mensforth (father John Mensforth) & Ann Hall (father Thomas Hall) - 1855

The only baptism I have come across in years of searching where the date and father's name match (though the place and occupation do not) is below:

Edward Mensforth bap - 28 July 1816. Father's Forenames John, Mother's Forename Mary, Occ: Gardener of Church Street, Place: St Oswald, Durham in the County of Durham.

He appears to be on the census:

1841 census
Hallgarth Street, Elvet, St Oswald, Durham City, Durham
John Mensforth 73yrs Gardener Y (so born abt 1768)
Robert Young 41yrs Brewer Y
Agnes Young 43yrs Y
John Young 21yrs Y
Jane Young 19yrs Y
Agnes Young 17yrs Y
Henry Young 13yrs Y
Robert Young 11yrs Y
William Young 6yrs Y
Ann Young 4yrs Y
Thomas Young 2yrs Y
James Young 4mths Y

But a gardener is very different from a shipwright and I can't really convince myself that they are the same person...what do you think?
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks jen     i will load details of 1841 census i found tomorrow  for you  ::)     the online tree had anne dying 1850 and john in 1870   

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
Ok cool, is this the one you mean? I had them put aside from my research over the years...

1841 census - Silver Street, Durham St Nicholas (living next to William Hall)

John Mensforth    50yrs Labourer Y
Ann Mensforth    40yrs Y
Mary Mensforth    13yrs Y

1851 census - 30 Silver Street, Durham St Nicholas (living next to John Hall)

John Mensforth    Head M 59yrs Ostler (inn) b. Lovesome Hill, Yorkshire
Ann Mensforth    Wife M 53yrs Midwife b. Ferryhill, Durham
Mary Mensforth    Dau U 23yrs Dressmaker b. Ferryhill, Durham

I had a look at the tree on Ancestry and it is a bit all over the place, doesn't have much info to back any of it up. I take Ancestry trees with a grain of salt these days, so many people load lots of incorrect or poorly checked info onto them. It looks like Ann lived longer than 1850 as they have an 1871 census linked to her, and the link to Edward b 1816 is a bit suspect...

I will look into it a bit more and see what I think ;)
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 09:38 BST (UK) »
This appears to be them in 1861 & 1871:

1861 census - Crossgate, Durham

John Mensforth    Head M 70yrs Groom b. Yorkshire
Ann Mensforth    Wife M 62yrs Midwife b. Ferryhill, Durham
John Bradley    Son-in-law M 36yrs Cabinet maker b. Durham, Durham
Mary Bradley    Daughter M 33yrs Dressmaker b. Ferryhill, Durham

1871 census - 3 Crossgate, Durham

John Bradley    Head M 45yrs Subverger Durham Cathedral b. Durham, Durham
Mary Bradley    Wife M 43yrs Dressmaker b. Merrington, Durham
John W Bradley    Son 9yrs Scholar b. St Margarets, Durham
Ann Mensforth    Mother-in-law W 72yrs b. Merrington, Durham

Merrington Road appears to be in Ferryhill. Ferryhill is south of the city of Durham. Ferryhill is about 30 miles south of the North Shields area, which is up on the Northumberland border. John Mensforth's professions (ostler, groom and labourer) don't really match at all with the claim of him being a shipwright....

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
Ok I will leave it with you     

Take care

Cheran

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 09:43 BST (UK) »
Will let you know if I come up with anything of use ;)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 21:30 BST (UK) »
Jen

Find my past has a baptism for an Edward Mensforth 1816   Northumberland And Durham Baptisms   Durham, England

https://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/SearchResults.php  has the Baptism Church Street

Cheran