Author Topic: Mensforth and Laurence (Lawrence)  (Read 5005 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Re: Mensforth and Laurence (Lawrence)
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 22:00 BST (UK) »
Yes I know...as per my message below:

The only baptism I have come across in years of searching where the date and father's name match (though the place and occupation do not) is below:

Edward Mensforth bap - 28 July 1816. Father's Forenames John, Mother's Forename Mary, Occ: Gardener of Church Street, Place: St Oswald, Durham in the County of Durham.

He appears to be on the census:

1841 census
Hallgarth Street, Elvet, St Oswald, Durham City, Durham
John Mensforth 73yrs Gardener Y (so born abt 1768)
Robert Young 41yrs Brewer Y
Agnes Young 43yrs Y
John Young 21yrs Y
Jane Young 19yrs Y
Agnes Young 17yrs Y
Henry Young 13yrs Y
Robert Young 11yrs Y
William Young 6yrs Y
Ann Young 4yrs Y
Thomas Young 2yrs Y
James Young 4mths Y

But a gardener is very different from a shipwright and I can't really convince myself that they are the same person...what do you think?

I have a copy if you want me to e-mail it to you.

Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 01:31 BST (UK) »
Confusing I think.....   I would like a copy of the Baptism .....  I think you have my email address now. 

I have a copy of the Marriage Cert for Edward & Ellen now if you need but I am thinking you have probably already done all that work.... 

It would'd be hard to imagine a 73 year old person no longer a shipwright but now doing gardening but I don't really know!

If he is born in 1768 (remembering they rounded ages in the 1841 census usually by 5 years) he would have been 48 when Edward is born? 

Cheran

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 01:38 BST (UK) »
do you think that this baptism is a possibility for Ellen Boardman

Ellen Boardman
Christening Date: 15 October 1815
Father: William Boardman
Mother: Ellen

Saint Peter Paul, Liverpool Lancashire, england

""""Sorry " Jenny......  I can see you have already found this family...." 

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
No worries Cheryl  ;)

Yes I do have the marriage certificate for Edward Mensforth and Ellen Boardman. Sorry I forgot to attach it to my last e-mail. I also have their death certificates and the death certificates for a number of their children...do you want these as well?

I will e-mail you what I have on the Boardman's and the baptism for Edward Mensforth 1816 son of John & Mary. I am not sure about a switch from being a shipwright to being a gardener either...also concerned that the baptism is in Durham which is a fair distance from North Shields....don't you just wish we could go back in time and ask them  ;D

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jenny....
 :)

Cheran